• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lanceolated Warbler? | Inba Numa, Chiba, Japan | may 2018 (1 Viewer)

HouseCrow

I have been busy uploading Japanese records to observado.org, inaturalist and a bit of ebird for a few years now. I had Japan 2018 almost completed, yet a few puzzles remained.
One was this soft rattle of which I noted down; "a bit like Savy's Warbler". I did not really put energy in it as I could not think of a likely Japanese candidate. Then this week it struck me...could it be Lanceolated Warbler?

Could this be a short bit of song (from 3 seconds for a few secs, then only footsteps and Oriental Reed Warbler
click the record to see the sound recording please

Lanceolated Warbler - Locustella lanceolata 2018-05-31 | Japan

Anyone familiar with their song? What do you think?

Hope to hear from you

cheers,
G erben

Sorry, but I can't hear anything apart from the Oriental Reed Warbler and then the footsteps. I think you might need to leave this one as unidentified.

thanks John, I understand that it is a quite weak recording. I will give it one more go, before I put it to rest.

I have added the best audible section here: A fairly short higher pitched rattle.

It is apparently not as constantly singing as its European sisterspecies, if this is something to go by:
(not my video, added link to illustrate the short series of rattles)

hope to hear from you

edit: I ran the clip through Audacity. It appears that the high rattle registers in the 6,5 zone (on the last third of the image. I am no expert at all, but if it were to be lanceolated, would the frequency not be equal to the one given in xeno-canto (5,5 - 8k), regardless of the distance more or less?

cheers,
G

PS. Question upped to Xeno-canto too just now

Attachments

• 2018-05-31 13Lanceolatedmaybe.mp3
    371.1 KB
  • lanceolated6-5.jpg
    lanceolated6-5.jpg
    1,005 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back