• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ladywalk (1 Viewer)

Reader

Ladywalk is in O/S map No 139 at Co-ordinates SJ217 917. This reserve belongs to the West Midland Bird club and can be visited by permit only. There are always Bitterns here in the winter and at present 4 are regularly being reported.

If you want more information try emailing the secretary at:
[email protected] and he should be able to help you.

This is a reserve set at the edge of a huge industrial estate which was once the huge Hams Hall power station complex and has 4 hides dotted around the reserve. This is the start of a huge area of pits and walks along the Tame Valley that stretch along a vast area beyond Tamworth and onwards towards Burton where another series of pits, riverside walks, canals and woods take over. I have taken a photo of part of the reserve and posted it within my trip report.

This site can turn up anything and as well as the Bitterns, Jack Snipe are regulars as well (one is reported there now but I couldn't find it). Many other rareities have turned up here, far too numerous to mention. It is a hugely respected site and is well worth joining the WMBC just to be able to visit there.

Birds seen on this trip were:

1 Bittern
20+ Long tailed Tits
1 Bullfinch
quite a few Swans throughout the reserve
200+ Cormorant
numerous Mallard. Teal, Wigeon
15+ Grey Heron
a few shoveller and Shelduck
Coot & Moorhen
Kingfisher

I didn't get to the reserve until almost 15:00hrs and it would have been far more productive if I had put in more hours throughout the day.

Still seeing Bittern on your doorstep has always got to be a bonus in any birdwatchers book.

Last edited:
Those planning to visit the reserve might like to visit the Ladywalk page on the West Midland Bird Club website here. This gives details about permits.

It also includes weekly updates from the warden of which birds have been seen on the reserve, as well as some recent photographs.

In 2002 the first Bittern arrived for its winter stay during October, so fingers crossed for this year.

--
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back