• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

l found a bird ring in Gunthorpe Nottinghamshire and wondered if you could help identify it . It is pink (1 Viewer)

Did it have a bird attached to it! The format of the numbering would imply it is from a racing pigeon

Gb = Great Britain
85 = the year the ring was put on I think - so pretty long-lived!
The rest of numbers etc will identify that particular bird.
Try contacting the British Racing Pigeon Association, with those details.

Gb = Great Britain
85 = the year the ring was put on I think - so pretty long-lived!
The rest of numbers etc will identify that particular bird.
Try contacting the British Racing Pigeon Association, with those details.

Pretty long-lived is an understatement. Assuming that the pigeon was recently deceased, it would have been 35 or 36 years old. The oldest recorded pigeon was 32 years old.

Here is a link to report a stray (including deceased) pigeons. The Royal Pigeon Racing Association | Stray Reporting I think it is safe to assume that the bird is no longer alive.

what exactly is the pigeon racing society? i'm going to assume it's not literally pigeons racing across a track (as cool as that would be)

They're all released at a particular location, all at the same time. Then they fly back to their roost and timed on arrival.

That, really, is about as much as I know.

Used to be very competitive when I was a boy back in the 60s. Generally considered a working class interest but Her Majesty had a great interest and I recall a huge loft with full time staff. A top bird could fetch tens of thousands of pounds not so long ago. Neighbours on the near council estate ( that is what it was called back then ) would create pigeon lofts in the back gardens sacrificing essential space for growing vegetables and spent hours training their feathered interest. Sadly, lost pigeons are generally viewed by their owners as useless.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back