• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kelp Gull (1 Viewer)

Lanhua

Last May in Cape Town, I've photographed Kelp Gulls and I saw a behavior which was a very surprising to me. Does somebody know why the birds do it.
On my pictures are to see juvenile bird, but the same I do adult birds as well.

Thanks for explanation
_10I8151.jpg_10I8152.jpg
Mietek

Hello,
I just wanted to write, that your great pictures are proof of modern, fast autofocus, high-speed burst rates and a skilled photographer behind the camera, but then I found this:

Didnt know this before.

Kelp gulls are predated on by sharks as they feed/rest on the surface of the ocean.This behaviour could be how they get a better field of view for potential threats as they fly above the surface of the ocean.

Kelp gulls are predated on by sharks as they feed/rest on the surface of the ocean.This behaviour could be how they get a better field of view for potential threats as they fly above the surface of the ocean.
No; this is simply something that they do when flying off after an extensive wash.
I've noticed this behaviour in several gull species in different countries, even in landlocked ones like Armenia (see example attached).
I've seen it in harbours, on shallow ponds and on inland lakes.
As Pianoman said above, the head shaking is just to shake off water drops.
You can actually see the drops in a few of the photos attached.

Attachments:
  • Armenian Gull, Lake Sevan, Armenia
  • Heermann's Gull, 3rd cycle and adult, Monterey, California
  • Kumlien's Gull, Newfoundland, Canada

I have more examples and might add them when I come across them on my hard drives.

Attachments

• KumliensGull_ad_Newfoundland_20130202_025.JPG
    KumliensGull_ad_Newfoundland_20130202_025.JPG
    360.6 KB · Views: 8
  • HeermannsGull_ad_Monterey_CA_20110129_037.JPG
    HeermannsGull_ad_Monterey_CA_20110129_037.JPG
    309 KB · Views: 6
  • HeermannsGull_3c_Monterey_CA_20110129_017.JPG
    HeermannsGull_3c_Monterey_CA_20110129_017.JPG
    382.2 KB · Views: 8
  • ArmenianGull_(near)ad_Sevan_Armenia_20130606_204.JPG
    ArmenianGull_(near)ad_Sevan_Armenia_20130606_204.JPG
    371.1 KB · Views: 8
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back