• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kalematiya bird reserve (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Please can anyone advise on the birding at the above place. Is the birding good in May.
Also would it be described as good, bad or indifferent birding please.
Ian

Hi Ian,

I paid a visit to Kalematiya in late Feb and it was well worth the visit in my opinion. The location is a large shallow lagoon partially covered with water lily and the species you can expect in such an environment, I guess most of the species are resident so hopefully May is OK as well, but better check. The bird life was impressive, a healthy population.

The road to the place is quite bad and you need a boat for a meaningful visit. I went out for a 3-4 hour morning trip. The hotel recommended a guide, his English knowledge is a bit limited but good enough for this purpose, and he seemed truly interested in birds. The boat was a catamaran built from two canoes, with a large platform, well designed for this purpose, suitable for observation and photography. Propelled by pole so totally silent. I can try to dig it out his phone number if you are interested.

The good thing with the place - there seems to be few visitors. During the 3-4 hour trip we encountered another catamaran with what appeared to be casual birders, and Feb is high tourist season on Sri Lanka. We had bad luck with overcast weather and I would have visited the place a second time, should I have had time which I did not. The guide mentioned that often the place is better in afternoons/evenings.

I'm not sure what you mean with "indifferent", what kind of birding experience thrills you but I personally liked the place.

Tord

Kalematiya

Dear Tord
Thanks for your kind reply to my email.
I apologize for my delay in replying to you.
The email notification of replies wasnt turned on unfortunately
As it happens the trip to Sri Lanka has come and gone. However i hope to return at a later date. Even though I didnt get to Kalematiya this time I am still interested in the place.
May i please enquire which species you managed to see during your visit to Kalemitiya.
Yours with thanks
Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back