• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juv large gulls, Leeds UK (1 Viewer)

stevethehydra

Seen at Farnley Balancing Reservoir, today (29th Jan) alongside lots of Black-headed and Common Gulls, a couple of juvenile large gulls. I assume they are either Herring or LBBG, but can they be identified securely to species?

Photos 1-3 are the same bird; 4 and 5 are 2 different birds, seen fairly close together (5 seemed somewhat smaller than 4), but I'm not sure if 5 might be the same individual as pics 1-3 (as the bird in 1-3 took off and circled round a bit while I was photographing nearer ducks, then I noticed the two birds 4 and 5).

Attachments

• gulla1.JPG
    gulla1.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 43
  • gulla2.JPG
    gulla2.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 48
  • gulla3.jpg
    gulla3.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 38
  • gullb3.JPG
    gullb3.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 51
  • gullc3.JPG
    gullc3.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 40
Thanks both. I had been wondering if bird 4 was a Herring and 5 LBB because 5 seemed smaller and longer-winged (and perhaps less heavy bill), but would this be potentially male/female or just individual variation?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back