• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it a Crested Lark? (Austria) (1 Viewer)

pyrrhula

Austria
-Location: Lower Austria, abandoned industrial site next to a small nature reserve
-Time of day: around midday
-Date: June 6th of this year
-2 Birds, one carrying some nesting material around

We have 3 regular larks in Austria, so these are the main options: Eurasian Skylark, Woodlark, Crested Lark
Crested Lark is the rarest out of these.
(Very rare guests are: Horned Lark, Greater Short-toed Lark, Calandra Lark)

The sighting was almost a month ago but i still remember them having a pointy crest which made me think of the crested lark in the first place. I haven't seen a crested lark yet but I have seen quite a few Skylarks and these 2 stood out to me. Sadly the larks made no sound whatsoever, so the identification is purely visual. I sadly don't remember the beaks size or shape, which would be an important feature and it is barely visible in the pictures.

Maybe someone with more lark experience can help.

Best regards!

IMG_3593_(1).jpg
IMG_3596_(1).jpg
IMG_3597_(1).jpg
IMG_3594_(1).jpg

Hello,

I agree with RB and Butty, both birds are Crested Larks. Adding to the good head pattern, he already mentioned, please note:
  • bold and blackish breast streaking, which seems to be a step darker/more intense than the rest of the bird. Like if this area was blocked from bleaching on an otherwise bleached looking bird (a jizz feature against Skylark and Woodlark)
  • the right shape and length of the spikey crest, as you have already noted
  • pale and uniform tertials, contrasting with slightly darker and patterned wing (also a good jizz feature of Crested Lark)
Thekla excluded by location.

I would say it is a Crested. The shots aren't ideal but the facial pattern certainly seems to be more Galerida than Alauda.

RB
Hello,

I agree with RB and Butty, both birds are Crested Larks. Adding to the good head pattern, he already mentioned, please note:
  • bold and blackish breast streaking, which seems to be a step darker/more intense than the rest of the bird. Like if this area was blocked from bleaching on an otherwise bleached looking bird (a jizz feature against Skylark and Woodlark)
  • the right shape and length of the spikey crest, as you have already noted
  • pale and uniform tertials, contrasting with slightly darker and patterned wing (also a good jizz feature of Crested Lark)
Thekla excluded by location.

Thank you! I'll certainly keep those jizz features in mind!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back