• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Information on Welbeck Watchpoint (1 Viewer)

Jonny721

Can someone give me directions for welbeck watchpoint from the village of Cuckney please. I am hoping to go on tomorrow so need the information pretty quickly.

Thanks Jonathan Scragg

Good News then. I hope to get 10 birds of prey species over the weekend:
Honey buzzard
Hobby
Kestrel
Sparrowhawk
Common Buzzard
Peregrine Falcon
Marsh Harrier
Montague's Harrier (frampton marsh)
Merlin
Osprey

Does anyone know if there have been any sightings of honey buzzard at Welbeck this year, and if so how frequently? With the Norfolk watchpoints apparently having no birds this year, I was wondering if a trip to Welbeck might be better?

At least one bird has been seen for the last few days from the Norfolk raptor watchpoints - see recent posts by Tideliner on Great Ryburgh and Norfolk Birding threads. Personally, I had great views on Monday 21st in the afternoon of HB from the Wykeham Forest Raptor Watchpoint in North Yorkshire. Welbeck has very few reported sightings these days - most birds seen from here are young birds that stop off on their migration south later in the year.
Hope this helps.

I haven't heard of any sightings so far this year, mind you the recent weather has been poor to put it mildly. I'm waiting for a decent day this week to have a scan round myself.
In the past I've spoke to knowledgable birders there who say they never post their sightings and also plenty who do post their sightings but clearly misidentify juv Common Buzzards at long distances, so the recent history of birds and sightings around this location is, IMHO, shady at best.
All I can say is in Sept last year I saw three birds together one morning so there is hope. Having said that, I went every morning in that particular week (about 16 hours in a good weather week) and saw them for about 20mins so.........

I haven't heard of any sightings so far this year, mind you the recent weather has been poor to put it mildly. I'm waiting for a decent day this week to have a scan round myself.
In the past I've spoke to knowledgable birders there who say they never post their sightings and also plenty who do post their sightings but clearly misidentify juv Common Buzzards at long distances, so the recent history of birds and sightings around this location is, IMHO, shady at best.
All I can say is in Sept last year I saw three birds together one morning so there is hope. Having said that, I went every morning in that particular week (about 16 hours in a good weather week) and saw them for about 20mins so.........

Cheers Paul,good luck,think i might try Norfolk instead.

I've not heard of any HBs anywhere in Notts yet. As good a place as any might be the Budby Pumping Station in August. There's more to watch there generally too.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back