• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID required (1 Viewer)

Richard Ford

BF Member
Hello all

I have had an E-mail recently from someone in the UK asking about a mystery bird in his garden. I do try to help when I can, but i have a feeling this one is an escape (or perhaps a rare vagrant :)) perhaps a weaver, or a finch of some kind.

Does anyone know of anything that fits this description?

Thanks in advance.
I will point him toward the thread and see if he will join BF. ;)

Rich

Hi Rich,

One of the birds re-appeared last weekend. The goldfinch pictures I have seen show them having red faces. This bird definitely has a black and white striped face and a red tufted eyebrow.
Do you know anyone else who can help ?
Regards
Tony

I seem to remember something about yellow in the wings if that helps at all.
I think that’s why I suggested possible goldfinch.
Hopefully Tony will join BF, and contribute some more info to the thread.

I am intrigued by this one, I would guess at a weaver, a black and white face and red tufted eyebrows must make for a pretty distinctive looking bird, so I am sure someone will be able to help.

Tony if you are reading this, is it possible you can get a picture?

Rich

Several popular cagebirds could be construed as roughly fitting the description-- Cut-throat finch, Zebra Finch, some of the waxbills-- any chance of a photo or sketch?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back