• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID of Moth and Dragonflies (1 Viewer)

chrisjones

Bit off subject but....

I very recently visited Northern Cyprus and i'm having trouble identifying the following chaps.

Help and ideas would be gratefully appreciated

Regards Chris

Attachments

• White Moth 140910-1751-a.jpg
    White Moth 140910-1751-a.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Black & White Dragonfly 120910-5078-a.jpg
    Black & White Dragonfly 120910-5078-a.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Green Dragonfly 090910-4923-a.jpg
    Green Dragonfly 090910-4923-a.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 65
I'm not great at identification of insects yet, so I can't help you out there. But a bit of advice: don't call it "Northern Cyprus" (and definitely don't call it the TRNC). It's an illegally occupied region, so much so that no nation in the world recognizes its legitimacy other than Turkey. So, please, don't legitimize it.

Hi Chris, I think the darker dragonfly is Slender Skimmer and the dragonfly with blue background is Red-veined Darter. Those are my best guesses. I might be proved wrong though!

Hi Chris, I think the darker dragonfly is Slender Skimmer and the dragonfly with blue background is Red-veined Darter. Those are my best guesses. I might be proved wrong though!

Re the drags, Trurobirder is correct. Little to confuse Slender Skimmer with with such a slender abdomen (and the bulbous shape at the base of thorax end) and the markings. Blue on the underside of the eyes and the red veins ID the other as RVD.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back