• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

iceland in june (1 Viewer)

James Lowther

hello all,
am starting to re-plan the trip to iceland this summer that was missed last year due to illness.
thinking of going either 1st and 2nd, or 2nd and 3rd weeks in june.
leaning towards the 2nd and 3rd weeks partly due to the logistics of getting to flatey, but i wondered whether there was any bird-related (or other) advantages to either slot.
i can't imagine it makes too much difference but you never know!
cheers,
James

We had 24 hours on Flatey in the last week of May 2 years ago.No problem with the logistics.The ferry company booked us into a farmhouse on the island for D,B & B as the hotel hadn't opened for the season.There was 1 Grey Phalarope on the island which we couldn't find,but this is about the time the few birds that summer there arrive.A wonderful place if you get decent weather.We did our Icelandic trip in late May to avoid the insects,particularly at Myvatn,that can be a nuisance later on.Didn't miss anything else going at this time.

Tom Lawson.

hello all,
am starting to re-plan the trip to iceland this summer that was missed last year due to illness.
thinking of going either 1st and 2nd, or 2nd and 3rd weeks in june.
leaning towards the 2nd and 3rd weeks partly due to the logistics of getting to flatey, but i wondered whether there was any bird-related (or other) advantages to either slot.
i can't imagine it makes too much difference but you never know!
cheers,
James

thanks Tom,
useful to hear of your experiences - especially re: insects... The second week in june onwards you can visit flatey for a day trip, i'm sure it's a lovely place to stay but with a big country packed full of lovely places it helps to have some flexibility!
james

Hi James,

There's not much in it, but road conditions may be slightly better towards the end of the month (some highland roads could already be open). Flatey is wonderful but also tiny. It's about a mile long so you won't need much time to visit at all. The Phalaropes are at the lagoon on the eastern side of the island, a 15 minute walk from the jetty. I would go on a daytrip - as you say there is so much else to explore! Have a great trip,

N

Hi James

There won't be too much difference between the dates you propose, just the ducks will be a bit more advanced in eclipse, some drake Harlequins will have left the rivers (but you'll still definitely see them) and there will be slightly less activity among displaying waders. As for flies at Mývatn then it's hard to predict, numbers vary greatly between years, and weather conditions on the day you are there also play a big part - if it's cool or windy there will be fewer flies. It's also worth remembering that the flies are largely non-biting chironomids which are just annoying, I've never been bitten by flies in Iceland and I get eaten alive abroad - in short the fly situation is absolutely nothing like as bad as I've experienced in Scandinavia, Scotland, Greenland or the US in summer.

N mentions that some highland roads might be open but check your car hire details first - many car hire companies don't allow you to drive on highland roads (roads pre-fixed with F-).

E

thanks nohatch, thanks Edward,
gotta say, one word has got my alarm bells ringing slightly -"eclipse".
feel ashamed to be ignorant of such basic stuff, but will there still be at least some good looking drakes (harlequin, barrow's, eider, scaup, l-t duck) in the 3rd week of june?
cheers,
james

Sorry, James, my fault, unnecessary scaremongering. You'll see plenty of smart-looking ducks in the third week of June, including all the species you mention - it's really July before they start looking grotty (although I think Red-breasted Mergansers will maybe be well past their best in mid-June).

thanks Edward,
i see plenty of nice looking mergs round weymouth in the winter so can live with that minor hardship!
looks like 2nd and 3rd weeks could be the best for us then.
will be back in touch for up-to-date info from the best free info service online later in the year!
;)

cheers,
James

I took this near my holiday home on 17 July last year, not too shabby plumage.

Attachments

• ebr_hishis170712_1.jpg
    ebr_hishis170712_1.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 95
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back