• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hooded Grebe and other Patagonian endemics (1 Viewer)

StevePreddy

Hi

Later in my upcoming trip (see the Buenos Aires thread below) I am visiting Patagonia. I'm definitely including El Calafate/Perito Moreno and El Chalten and I am trying to decide if I should also head up to the Strobel plateau to look for Hooded Grebe and a few other species that don't quite make it as far southwest as those two areas.

Does anyone know the current best way to see Hooded Grebe and how many days I would need to allocate? I know that in the past birders have based themselves at Estancia La Angostura, who know the best locations and have up to date gen - is this still the case? Or would you advise hiring a guide?

Any advice on other Patagonian specialities in any of the areas above would be very welcome too.

Thanks

Steve

Steve, I’m guessing you want to ser Hooded Grebe, Magellanic Plover, Austral Rail.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not promoting myself but I think your best bet is to hire a guide. I’m saying this because the company that owns a lodge at the Strobel Plateu charges you 150 dollars just for picking you up at La Angostura and take you to Strobel Plateu.
Austral Rail can be easily seen in La Angostura, even though we had one of the worst winters in a very long time, so there’s not a lot of water available.

Steve, I’m guessing you want to ser Hooded Grebe, Magellanic Plover, Austral Rail.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not promoting myself but I think your best bet is to hire a guide. I’m saying this because the company that owns a lodge at the Strobel Plateu charges you 150 dollars just for picking you up at La Angostura and take you to Strobel Plateu.
Austral Rail can be easily seen in La Angostura, even though we had one of the worst winters in a very long time, so there’s not a lot of water available.
Hi Manolito, thanks for this, I'm interested. I've messaged you via the "Start a Conversation" link (top right). Steve

The place to see Hooded Grebe recently has been, and I assume continues to be, Estancia Laguna Verde. The site needs high clearance and if it’s been raining perhaps 4WD. They also charge a fair bit but it is the reliable site. Perhaps others have more up to date info but I don’t think it is a lot cheaper if you have your own transport. As of about 2 years ago you could drive yourself about 2/3 of the way there and then get picked up at the beginning of their entrance road.

Angostura is the place to stay in the area and is good for Austral Rail, as mentioned.

The plateau can be good for Patagonian Tinamou - most of the people I know who have gone have gotten it there, though I didn’t. I have seen Magellanic Plover next to the grebes, though I gather most don’t.

I’ve not been in several years but I haven’t heard that the situation has changed a ton. The Grebe is one of the best birds in S America, in my opinion. Do not miss it, even if it is a bit of logistical hassle and expense.

Cheers and good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back