• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holidaying in Suffolk in late April ... (1 Viewer)

I will be staying in Orford for just over a week in late April, and of course bring my trusty bins and telescope. Was wondering if you could recommend any sites at this time of year? Any feedback welcome, not been in Suffolk since I was 5 or 6 (stay in Scotland).

regards,
Chris

I will be staying in Orford for just over a week in late April, and of course bring my trusty bins and telescope. Was wondering if you could recommend any sites at this time of year? Any feedback welcome, not been in Suffolk since I was 5 or 6 (stay in Scotland).

regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,

You could find out about crossing over to Orfordness or Havergate Island. I've never been at that time of year but would expect summer migrants that you would get elsewhere on the coast. Shingle Street is worth going to, likely birds Wheatear and Hobby, and I've seen late SE Owls before. An early morning at North Warren especially along the old rail track, good for warblers and nightingale and at the reed beds, bittern and marsh harrier.

Obviously will be quite a bit of stuff at Minsmere, but worth going up to the heaths for woodlark and dartford warbler, especially at Dunwich. Landguard Point is a good migrant spot and some good stuff can turn up there. This site - Suffolk BINS will have bird news within the county.

Have a great holiday,

Gi

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back