• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoatzin (1 Viewer)

Gosh... that's a cracking shot isn't it.

Thanks for finding that one Niels

D

I found hoatzin easy to find but an absolute sod to photograph for some reason - even with good views something about them or their positioning seemed to cause me to get an obscured or not quite sharp shot. Seeing a shot like that is particularly mindblowing as a result.

i do agree it is the best ever, just look how the details of the bird is so clear all over and accurate colors. i have to say the quality of the image does not seem to be of the digital shot but rather those you get from the ultra fine grain films.

Thanks for the kind comments. I'd like to say I had to sit for three days deep in the jungle, shivering cold and covered in leeches to get this shot. Well it was cold all right, but I was just sitting on the jetty outside La Selva Lodge in Ecuador. A fantastic place, but constant rain and high water levels had made most of the local specialities hard to find while I was there, let alone photograph (in fact I did see/hear most of them after a lot of hard work with Rodrigo from the lodge). There were some easy Hoatzins around the place, though, and I must have taken hundreds of shots of them close up, far away, in groups etc., all in terrible postures and terrible light with fussy, leafy backgrounds with bits of sky coming through, yuck! When this one came down to drink, I nearly didn't bother, because it was quite dark. However, one of the nice things about lack of direct sunlight seems to be that dark colours tend to come out quite nicely against dark backgrounds (another is the lack of human disturbance ...). So I propped the 500 mm up on a wooden post and fired off a few megabytes at 400 iso, f4 and a shutter speed of around 1/500 s, and that's about it ...

ATB

Christopher

Last edited:
It's a great picture, one you dream of getting. Is this the full version? or is it cropped?
I would love to see more of the reflection in the water. Thanks for a super image. Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back