• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help required on hawk i.d. please (1 Viewer)

andygolfer

andygolfer
Steve (Bitter Bugger) and I were out this evening and saw this at Little Leighs, it was some way off in the distance and at the time we thought it wa sprobably a kestrel but as always I took a pic best I could for i.d. (the pics were taken with a 400mm lens and it was little more than a speck in the middle which shows how far off it was!).

Looking at it on my computer it isnt a kestrel but has quite vivid white cheeks - can anybody put my out of my ignorant misery please and tell me what it is, best we could tell it was kestrel sized hence our original thoughts.sorry about the quality but that's the best I could manage

MTIA
andy

Attachments

• 4184 mystery bird 16-7-13.JPG
    4184 mystery bird 16-7-13.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 83
  • 4181 mystery bird 16-7-13.JPG
    4181 mystery bird 16-7-13.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 55
Steve (Bitter Bugger) and I were out this evening and saw this at Little Leighs, it was some way off in the disctance and at the time we thought it wa sprobably a kestrel but as always I took a pic best I could for i.d. (the pics were taken with a 400mm lens and it was little more than a speck in the middle which shows how far off it was!).

Looking at it on my computer it isnt a kestrel but has quite vivid white cheeks - can anybody put my out of my ignorant misery please and tell me what it is, best we could tell it was kestrel sized hence our original tohughts.

MTIA
andy

Hobby :t:

thanks Phil , I wondered about that because of the white cheeks but thought the underside was too rich a brown but will bow to your expertise, many thanks again

andy

This is all I got of the "Kestrel," you so quickly snubbed in your insatiable search for more Kingfishers

:)

Cheers for the ID

Attachments

• hawk.JPG
    hawk.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 76
This is all I got of the "Kestrel," you so quickly snubbed in your insatiable search for more Kingfishers

:)

Cheers for the ID
well it didnt take long to find one when we moved on did it! - I spent an hour or so at H/E on Thursday and saw it (the kingfisher) again but only once.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back