• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help identifying Duck seen on Lake Ontario on Dec 20 (1 Viewer)

My first posting and I'm very much in the learning phase. I was birding in Colonel Samuel Smith Park in Toronto yesterday and saw 8 species of water birds which was great fun. But I'm puzzled by this duck. It seemed to be hanging out in the vicinity of the Gadwalls and the Mallards -- could it be a hybrid of some sort? Chocolate brown with dark eyes, a brown eyeline and paler cheeks. Doesn't seem to have any wing specula (unless they're hidden).

Any thoughts? Thanks very much.

Best regards,
---Norm

Attachments

• IMG_7615-small.jpg
    IMG_7615-small.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7598-small.jpg
    IMG_7598-small.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 8
I got a couple of shots showing the wing specula. It's so easy (for me) to mistake the male American Black Duck for a female Mallard! I guess the all-yellow bill distinguishes them from the mixed orange and black bill on the female Mallard.

Attachments

• IMG_7521-small.jpg
    IMG_7521-small.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7523-small.jpg
    IMG_7523-small.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7524-small.jpg
    IMG_7524-small.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 4
Thanks very much for the pointer, Daniel.

On the same productive walk, I saw this snowy owl in the distance (with the 400mm lens). I gather this is either a mature female or an immature male and no way to tell them apart?

Attachments

• IMG_8222-small.jpg
    IMG_8222-small.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 9
I'd guess adult female, but it would be exactly that - a guess! That is a bit of a gripper, I've yet to catch up with Snowy owl (dipped twice in the UK).

I'd guess adult female, but it would be exactly that - a guess! That is a bit of a gripper, I've yet to catch up with Snowy owl (dipped twice in the UK).
Dipped three times in Denmark and twice in Wisconsin before getting a good view on the sixth overall attempt. Have since gotten it back in Denmark as well!
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back