• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help ID this bird. NSW Australia (1 Viewer)

This could be the 100th bird species to visit my backyard (if it is not a juvenille or opposite gender to a bird that has already visited.)
I spotted this bird eating the flowers on a wild plum tree in our yard.

Attachments

• 08-24-23 (1).jpg
    08-24-23 (1).jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 08-24-23 (2).jpg
    08-24-23 (2).jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 22
  • 08-24-23 (3).jpg
    08-24-23 (3).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 08-24-23 (4).jpg
    08-24-23 (4).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 31
  • 08-24-23 (5).jpg
    08-24-23 (5).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 08-24-23 (6).jpg
    08-24-23 (6).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
It looks like a Eurasian Blackbird (female/juvenile). They were introduced to Australia.

Caught me out when I was in Adelaide, forgotten what I thought it was until I posted the picture on here and dropped myself right in it LOL!!!

I totally agree with the id. I don't know if it's a photo artifact (don't think so) but it looks a little odd compared with "our" UK blackbirds: large bill, the white throat and the rufous chest. I wonder if the Oz birds are starting to diverge...

I totally agree with the id. I don't know if it's a photo artifact (don't think so) but it looks a little odd compared with "our" UK blackbirds: large bill, the white throat and the rufous chest. I wonder if the Oz birds are starting to diverge...
I do see some of mine with that white throat patch.

Aus' blackbirds always looked to me like they had bigger bills. Could be a bit of selection pressure on an isolated population, mebs. I hadn't noticed colour variations, but that's not to say they don't exist there.

Northern Irish ones have no throat patch at all, nor are they rufous in any way, just drab sooty brown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back