• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good birding near Clun ? (1 Viewer)

Acanthis

Hi
We'll be coming down to England this summer for a quiet holiday based in Clun and I was wondering if the local folk could recommend any good bird sites within say 15 miles of the village. I'm particularly interested in the kind of stuff that's scarce or absent in the Lothians eg. Pied Flycatcher, Marsh & Willow Tits, Little Owl, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Nightjar....that kind of thing.
Any help gratefully recieved.

Hi Sandy,
You have an excellent site just a few miles from clun heading east towrds Craven Arms, called Clunton coppice. Pied Fly, Wood W, marsh tit, I had Lesser pecker there in 2009!! Willow tit is more tricky, you need to be in the shrewsbury area for that, I don't know any sites in the south of the county for willow tit. I don't know the situation with Red Kites or Goshawk and Nightjar in Lothian, scarce probably, but these species are in the area but I can't really post sites here on the web.....
If you let me know when you're coming I could probably arrange a days birding if youre interested.

Cheers Andy

Brilliant! I looked up Clunton Coppice and it turns out to be a mere 2 miles from where we're staying.
Thanks Andy B :)
I may take you up on your kind offer. I'll pm you nearer hand the time (August).

Hi Sandy,

August is not the best time of year for clunton coppice, any oak woodland for that matter, but you never know. From experience most of the pied fly will have departed by then, I have nest box scheme very close to clun and after july youre lucky to see any pied fly even though 20-30 pairs breed in the valley. If you would like me show you around post me closer to the date.
Cheers Andy

Och well! Never mind there will be plenty other stuff to see I'm sure. And I'll do a little "syrphing" too, having gotten into hoverflies last summer.

All the best. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back