• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuji 602 battery drain (1 Viewer)

mickporter

Oswaldtwistle birder
My Fuji 602 like it appears many others had an annoying problem that when the camera was switched off and in its case, the batteries would drain away very quickly. I needed to insert new batteries very quickly after switching back on.

Can I point out to you guys who own a Fuji 602 like mine, and experiencing the annoying battery drain while the camera is turned off, that there is a fix on this website http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1012&message=7734869 ....

It appears that underneath the battery container lid, there is a metal spring that keeps contact when the lid is closed. This contact shorts out with another metal protrusion and allows the batteries to drain even when the camera is turned off. (There are pictures in the thread on the fuji website.) The cure is simple and is to insulate the metal spring. Some people have used shrink tube others insulating tape. I just slid a small piece of silicon tube over the offending spring. I has now ensured that I get at least three times the life from my batteries after having the camera standing around for some time. Well worth the effort of a small fix.

Last edited:
Thanks,Mick,I haven't found it a problem,but I do keep 2 spare battery sets,but will keep an eye on the battery levels,and see what happens,in future.Thankyou for the info.

scampo said:
Well - I ended up removing mine because I just assumed it was a normal thing. Thanks for that, Mick.

I've got the same problem with my S602, but I'm not sure what you mean by saying "I ended up removing mine". What was it you removed? Please be specific and also say how you removed whatever it was. Thanks.

Alan Hill

alanhill said:
I've got the same problem with my S602, but I'm not sure what you mean by saying "I ended up removing mine". What was it you removed? Please be specific and also say how you removed whatever it was. Thanks.

Alan Hill
No don't remove anything buddy.... just look at the link I posted, and put a piece of rubber tubing or other insulating material over the metal tab. You will be delighted with the results. It makes a huge difference........... When you open the battery lid and look under the hinged lid, you will see a springy silver metal tab which makes the door spring open when you flick the switch. Its this which causes battery drain, and which you are going to insulate. Chopping bits off is a bit drastic....... and problems contact me....

Last edited:
alanhill said:

Alan Hill
It was the batteries I removed while I wasn't using the camera - that way I found that they lasted far longer (although I now see there is a better way of dealing with this rapid battery drain issue).

Before I read these last two posts I had experimented with sticking some sellotape over the metal tab, which was relatively easy; so now I wait to see whether it has the desired effect. If not I will try to get a piece of tubing to slip over the tab, though it was because I couldn't get a mental image of what kind of tubing would be appropriate, or where I would get it from, that I tried the sellotape.
I can see that taking the batteries out would do the trick, but if you were taking the camera out for a day's photography I think it would be a bit irritating to have to keep removing the batteries in the periods you were not using the camera.
Anyway thanks for the ideas.

Alan Hill

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back