• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (2 Viewers)

Hello,

On Tuesday, I had a follow up visit to the otolaryngologist, which allowed me to visit the Reservoir, again. The northern shovelllers were present, which is no longer the case for the Lake. There were also ruddy ducks, mallards, American coots and a double crested cormorant.

Elsewhere in the Park, I saw a palm warbler and a black and white warbler. Last week, I did see a northern rough winged swallow. So the season progresses.

On another note, after my year palm warbler.jpgblack and white warbler.jpgrough winged swallows.jpglong absence from the Park, I have happily met some folks, Park workers, birdwatchers, including Chris Cooper, and others, whom I was happy to see again and they were happy to see me.
Stay safe and have a happy Earth Day,
Arthur :)

Hello,

As I implied earlier, New York often has a very short spring. This morning it was 11ºC and the temperature may rise to 27ºC.

On the 21st and on the 26th, inst., I saw a red breasted nuthatch, in Central Park. On the 22nd, I saw a field sparrow in my garden. On the 22nd, I saw a great egret, at Turtle Pond and on the 26th, I saw a black crowned night heron at the Lake, near Oak Bridge; yesterday, I saw a northern waterthrush, near Triplets Bridge.

Stay safe,
Arthur
nuthatches II.jpgField sparrow.jpgegret.jpgnight heron.jpgnorthern waterthrush.jpg

Hello,

Last week, I had a tentative sighting of bird, which I confirmed yesterday: a gray catbird. Yesterday, I managed to see a blue headed vireo, a yellow rumped warbler, aka Myrtle warbler, and a common yellow throat, aka Maryland warbler, and a cerulean warbler. Today, I saw a Cape warbler, but thecatbird, gray.jpgblue headed vireo.jpgMyrtle Yellow.jpgMaryland yellowthroat.jpgCerulean warbler.jpg lighting was poor, so I did not see much colour;

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hi Arthur!

That sure is a lovely image of this Cape May Warbler. Not a bad few days for you guy ;)
Yes, a good couple of days.
All the images are from paintings by Louis Agassiz-Fuertes and published in Eaton's Birds of New York , New York State Museum, 1912-1914.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
Hello,

Bird from Monday, which I neglected to mention, were a wood thrush and a black throated blue wood thrush.jpgBlack throated blue wing.jpgIndigo bunting.jpgwarbling vireo.jpgAmerican Redstarts.jpgwarbler. On Tuesday, while walking in my building's grarden, I saw blue bird, not a blue jay and not an Eastern bluebird, but a dark blue bird, near an LBJ. I quickly realized that they were a pair of indigo buntings. They are transients in New York City. Whenever they appear in Central Park they attract a flock of binocular bearing humans. Gray catbirds are now common morning visitors to the garden.
On Thursday, I saw a warbling vireo, an American redstart.
More later.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

Let me finish listing new bird for the season which I saw on Thursday morning. Near Azalea Pond, I saw a magnolia warbler, a hooded warbler, and an ovenbird. At the western end of Turtle Pond, I saw a female Baltimore Oriole; at the eastern end of the pond, I was fortunate to see a yellow warbler.

Stay safe,

Arthur

warbler, magnolia.jpghooded warbler.jpgovenbird.jpgoriole, Baltimore.jpgYellow warbler.jpg

Hello all,

The warbler season is in full swing, which is not to write that I am seeing them. Earlier this week, I saw an eastern kingbird and a Swainson's thrush. New warblers seen included a Canada warbler, and a bay breasted warbler. Today, I did see male and female scarlet tanagers. Today, I picked up the wrong binocular, a ten power instead of the identical looking 8x. Except for the tanager, I would have preferred the lower power.
Today, I admitted to another bird watcher that I was not a good bird watcher but that I was world famous. She laughed then I mentioned this thread.

Stay safe,
ArthurKingbird.jpgSwainsons thrush.jpgCanada warbler.jpgBay breasted.jpgScarlet Tananger.jpg

Sounds like a good week for you Arthur!
Hello KC,

Yes, it was. I was pleased that a northern mockingbird is sill visiting my building's, my block of flats', garden. I should add that today was my first day of no white throated sparrows.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

First of all, I will relate some observations. Those eastern kingbirds have been building their nest in the same place for years. I missed them during the Pandemic. This is the sort of event which I anticipate, as it marks the seasons. Deep in the shadow above the Gill's source, I saw a male cardinal feeding a dark bird. I thought that it might have been a chick but it may have been courtship. Earlier this week I saw a blue jay eating carrion, which I had never seen before. Yesterday, I did see a white throated sparrow, possibly the last for the year.

I seem to have missed writing of an earlier sighting of a Nashville warbler. I also had sightings of blackpoll warblers, a red eyed vireo, cedar waxwings, an olive sided flycatcher, and a make second year orchard oriole. I had some nice sightings of male Baltimore orioles, once in full sunlight. Finally, I had sightings of chimney swifts

All illustrations are by Louis Agassiz-Fuertes from Eaton's Birds of New York, which had no illustration of the chimney swifts.

Stay safe,
Arthur
.Nashville warbler.jpgBlackpoll.jpgRed eyed vireo.jpgWaxwings, cedar.jpgOrioles, orchard.jpg

Hello,

Deep in the shadow above the Gill's source, I saw a male cardinal feeding a dark bird. I thought that it might have been a chick but it may have been courtship.
Hello,

Someone has suggested that the male northern cardinal had been feeding a brown headed cowbird chick. Cowbirds do lay eggs in the nests of other species, which raise the young, so it may very well have been the case.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello all,

There has been a shortage of new bird sightings. I have seen a couple things of interest. I had two sightings of turtles laying eggs and I have been watching the Eastern kingbirds build a nest and which are now incubating a clutch. I can reliably catch red bellied woodpeckers visiting their chicks in a nest hollowed in a tree. The red bellied woodpeckers have managed to keep the starlings from chasing them out.

My last two warblers were a female American redstart and a female blackpoll, weeks ago. However, I finally crossed paths with a barred owl, which has been around the Boathouse Cafe for many weeks. Two weeks, ago, I spotted one of those little flycatchers which I can never sort out. It may have been a willow, or an alder but I will guess from my brief sighting that it was a least flycatcher. For a few days there were a pair of male wood ducks at Turtle Pond, perhaps the most spectacular of Central Park's waterfowl.

My garden offers little more than gray catbirds, American robins, mourning doves and the norther cardinal.

I expect very little change for six weeks.

Stay safe,
Arthur
barred owl.jpgLeast flycatcher.jpgWood duck.jpg

Good for you spotting an Owl I have never laid eyes on Arthur. I do miss my occasional visits to Central Park when I lived in NYC. I have seen often the male and female Wood Duck though ;)

Hi Arthur - this past Sunday (3 July 2021), we had some migrants on the Bob Bird Walk in Central Park: at least two (seen together) Worm-eating Warblers and a Swamp Sparrow. The latter is an early record southbound migration date for the species (SwSp). Worm-eating Warblers are notorious early July migrants IF we have just a hint of overnight winds from the northwest...early record date is 1 July for that species. We had a possible third Worm-eating Warbler later in the walk at a nearby location...but we are happy to be conservative in our count. See You soon - and Thank You again - Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back