• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Scope - Pentax PF-65EDAII? Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

JaneB

Canada
Hi there,

I am currently in the process of trying to decide which scope to buy. I am located in Canada and would like to spend under $1500. I've read loads of forum posts and have researched several scopes in this price range. Based on what I've read so far it seems that the Pentax PF-65EDAII with the XW 14 eyepiece may be one of the better options within this price point coming in around $1150 with tax.

I'm wondering what others think about this setup. Should I spend the extra $$ for the 80 EDAII or would you recommend an entirely different setup altogether? Vortex warranty is especially tempting.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Jane

Last edited:
Hi there,

I am currently in the process of trying to decide which scope to buy. I am located in Canada and would like to spend under $1500. I've read loads of forum posts and have researched several scopes in this price range. Based on what I've read so far it seems that the Pentax PF-65EDAII with the XW 14 eyepiece may be one of the better options within this price point coming in around $1150 with tax.

I'm wondering what others think about this setup. Should I spend the extra $$ for the 80 EDAII or would you recommend an entirely different setup altogether? Vortex warranty is especially tempting.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Jane
Hi Jane … I highly recommend the little Pentax 65 EDII, my favorite was the Pentax XW20 when choosing among Pentax’s line up. I have also used the XW14 when wanting higher power. Both are among the best for this scope in the low to medium power range . One of the best value to Optics Quality in the 65mm class range. …. Gwen

Hi Jane … I highly recommend the little Pentax 65 EDII, my favorite was the Pentax XW20 when choosing among Pentax’s line up. I have also used the XW14 when wanting higher power. Both are among the best for this scope in the low to medium power range . One of the best value to Optics Quality in the 65mm class range. …. Gwen
Thank you for this reassurance, Gwen. Super helpful. I've placed the order and can't wait!

I recommend the Pentax PF-65ED body and the Pentax XW-10 eyepiece, giving a 40X magnification. That combination gives a large 1.5 degree field of view, and an 20mm eye relief. Compared to the Pentax zoom eyepiece at the same magnification, you’ll get a wider field of fire and a longer eye relief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back