• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First digiscoped photo! (1 Viewer)

Draco

After hours of trying to get a decent shot of something I think that I got one that is worth posting. I don't have the Dragonfly field guide, so I'm not sure what it is, but it's progress! I could have zoomed in a bit more to get rid of the vignetting and would have liked to fill more of the frame by increasing the scope magnification. I'm happy with this beginners shot, though.

Attachments

• dscn0141.jpg
    dscn0141.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 224
I like it just as it is, Draco. A great start to your digiscoping career. IMO, a moderate amount of vignetting improves many pictures by gently leading the eye towards the subject and away from the square corners: this is one of them.

Tony

Thanks Surreybirder,

Since I'm going to keep this up I just have to get that book on the North American Dragonflies. Then I won't have to count on you folks for most of my IDs!

It's cloudy today and even though I have next week off for a fishing trip that I'm not packed for I was hoping for a sunny day so I could practice more. I am looking forward to getting comfortable with my equipment and polishing my technique. I'd like to get more depth of field along with some of the other "tweaking" that I mentioned. This is all very interesting and a REAL challenge!

Mark

Yes, it's like that. :) I've been digiscoping for ... er . about 3 weeks and am utterly hooked. Usually at this time of year (mid-winter in southern Australia) I'm your armchair and fire sort of birder. Never had so much fresh air in July before! Enjoy, and post your best so we can all enjoy them.

Tony

Dang, I thought I had I.d. this one on my initial post. I believe it is the Great Blue Skimmer. I have a couple in my gallery if you want to compare it.

Thanks folks...

The sun started to break through the clouds on my way home from work (so, I'm STILL not packed for my vacation). I managed to get a profile of what must be the same bug. He/she sure likes that stick!

I'll check that Gallery KCF - thanks.

Tony, why did you have to remind me that I'm not going to have Dragonflies in a couple of months? Yikes, I'm going to have to start practicing on BIRDS!;) My wood is stacked for our winter, so I can stretch out the season for as long as it lasts. Stay warm!

Mark

Attachments

• dscn0151.jpg
    dscn0151.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 212
Hey Draco,
You've got yourself a lovely male Blue Dasher there. Everybody with the book: plate 39, photos one and two. We get lots of this same species way out here in Oregon, and I digiscope them alot. You've got the pose someone commented on one of mine as the "Harrier" aircraft pose! Nice work.. you don't have far to go to photo perfection there! Steve B

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back