• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finland in June/July (1 Viewer)

Moritz

Germany
Hey everyone

I will be on a work trip near Helsinki in the last week of June and I wanted to add some days for some bird watching and wildlife watching. I won´t have a car but I already saw that towns like Oulu and Kuusamo are easily accessible by train and bus.

I just wanted to ask about your experience in these areas. I would love some solo adventures but I am also open to go on a guided tour if necessary. As a student I am a little bit on a budget.
Goals would be: owls (obviously especially the great grey owl), capercaillie, black grouse, willow ptarmigan and the Nordic woodpeckers

Also any advice on wetland birds? I live in Northern Germany so I have a lot of waders right around the corner but I am always happy to visit wetland areas?

And lastly: Any advice on the mammal side? I saw many offers for bears, wolves and wolverine but they seem all to be lured to the observation huts, which I regard not very ethical and I wanted to ask if there are any chances to see these animals "naturally" also regarding deer, moose etc.

Thanks a lot!!!

Quite a lot of those birds possible around Helsinki... Viiki (Citrine Wagtail) for example is a big reserve but there are others.

Owls in July not that easy - young have fledged etc etc

Some finns may reply on here but have a look at birding pal - there may be someone there willing to help.
We had Great Grey Owl not far from Heinola and also just north of Tampere - so there may well be opportunities further south.

Capercaillie, Black Grouse and Hazel Hen available not far away (don't think think Willow Grouse that far south). White Backed Woody and others not far from the city.

There are wetlands all along the south coast... The eastern border could be good too and easier than Lapland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back