• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extramudura 26-30 March 2003 (1 Viewer)

davebroadley

This is a brief account of a trip to the Spanish region of Extramadura, an area of steppe-like plains & cork oak plantations that extends S.W from MADRID.
Arriving at MADRID airport early afternoon, we headed off down the E90 ,with our local guide, towards TRUHILLO, our base for the 5 days, 260km away.
Stopping for fuel after an uninspiring 1st leg, we wandered around the service stn looking at Crested Lark, House Sparrow, Corn Bunting(25+) and a Zitting Cisticola(why does that sound like a anti-social disease).
Continuing on , picking up Common Buzzard, Cattle Egrets, SPotless Starling and our 1st Black Kite, we turned off at ALMARAZ where the warm water outlet of the nuclear power plant has created a wetland area.
Piling out of the minibus a male Marsh Harrier, Black Kite, and a delightful Black- winged Kite were quickly seen.
1,000's of hirundines swept over the water, Sand & House Martins, Common & Red-rumped Swallows & Common Swift all mingled together.
In the reeds & bushes Spanish Sparrow, Coot, Moorhen, Grey & Purple Heron, Little Bittern & 3 Purple Gallinules were seen, whilst a Savi's Warbler & Cetti's Warbler sang in the background.
In the hotel grounds at first light Spotless Starling, House & Spanish Sparrows left their roost, whilst next door Lesser Kestrel were nesting along with a Black Redstart. White Storks lumbered across the sky as they left their nests on the churches & castle.
After breakfast we headed out into the plains that surround TRUHILLO, and turning off the E90 at BELEM we started scanning the fields as we slowly drove along the back roads, a group of 5 male & 8 female Gt Bustard were soon seen, along with Stone Curlew, Black & Red Kites & Booted Eagle.
Moving along Calandra Larks were spotted , along with Corn Bunting ( a very common bird) , Meadow Pipits, Crested Lark and a single Northen Wheatear.
After lunch we headed out in the opposite direction, passing through vast oak plantations where Azure-winged Magpies, Southern Grey & Woodchat Shrikes were abundant.
Stopping near SANTA MARTA DE MAGASCA to admire Marsh & Hen Harriers, 50+ Little Bustards were seen in the fields. To add to the excitement 3 male & 2 female Montague's Harriers + Black Vulture & Booted Eagle made an appearance.
Next day saw us at the MONFRAGUE NATURAL PARK for our "raptor day" . Arriving at the VULTURE ROCK viewpoint, a pinnacle of rock rising from the waters of the ROI TAJO, the quantity of raptors was staggering. Griffon Vultures on nests, flying or just loafing around vied for attention as Black & Egyptian Vultures, Peregrine, Short-toed, Booted & Bonneli's Eagles glided around the rock face with Black Storks .
Smaller birds were not ignored with Redstart, Blue Rock Thrush, Serin, Wren, Subalpine Warbler, Chaffinch, Goldfinch & Rock Bunting all being seen.
At the hydro dam on the RIO TIETAR, Cormorants, Little Grebe, Kingfisher, Siskins, Hawfinch (5) and best of all, Spanish Imperial Eagle.
Back in TRUHILLO, a visit to the bullring ( built 1854) saw Lesser Kestrel & Pallid Swift along with Black -winged Stilts,Common Sandpiper & Little Ringed Plover.
Oor last full day was around the RIO ALIMATA looking in vain for Rock Sparrow but compensation came in the form of Black -eared Wheatear, Thekla & Woodlark, Gt spotted Cuckoo, Grey & white Wagtails, Crag Martins & Alpine Swifts.
We left at midday for the long haul back to the airport, but still managed to see Red-legged Partridge,Common Cuckoo & Iberian Hares.
A wonderful trip with a combined total of 109 species seen / heard

That was some trip you had there Dave. There is one person that will be interested in this report. Colin J's mate Ivan. He is going to Truhillo on May the 8th.

I am going further south on May 10th to Gaucin. I hope to have a list like yours. Thankfully I know a fairly reliable site at the Sierra Nevada for Rock Sparrow so hopefully I will get those on my report.

What is the accommodation like there, and how expensive is it as between you and Ivan you have brought Truhillo to my attention and I wouldn't mind going there myself.

As JohnJ says Dave, I will be off to Trujillo in May. What sort of place did you stay at? We are looking for a small hotel some way from the main square, not too active nightlife and quiet! Found a few on the 'net and a friend has just come back from there and recommended the Hotel Leon. Our travelling companions have a daughter who lives just outside of Madrid so we might get her to book, might be cheaper! Sounds llike a good selection of species you found, hope we have the same luck although it will not be a 'birds only' holiday. I'll certainly use your sightings list to plan the trips per day. I will also post a trip report when I get back.

Hey Ivan

I see you have come out of Lurking mode: LOL

I thought you might be interested in this thread. Both of you have got me interested in this area. I will wait with baited breath for your report. You will post one won't you??

Good to read your report. We went to Extremadura last March for a week (managing 128 species) so all the place names were familiar. It really is a great place but I thought Montfrague was really special.

Hi Ivan, stayed at the Hotel Victoria, unassuming from the outside, all marble & wrought iron inside
tel no 927 32 18 19
fax 927 32 30 84
recommended

Great report Dave, I'm off to Trujillo and Extremadura one week today (16 April) and I just can't wait as it's my first Spanish birding trip. Most of the species you mentioned will be lifers for me. Bring it on!

Hello Edward, while your in Truhillo,in the main plaza try the middle restaraunt of 3 by the statue of pizarro, no menu, but for@150 euros they pile you up with plates of local produce & wine, very popular with locals

I'll check that out Dave. But did you mean 150 euros? That's about 100 quid isn't it? You didn't mention either of the sandgrouse, did you look or were they just elusive?

Sorry to give you heart attack, should be 15 euros.
Yes we did see and hear both species but very distant and in poor light and after a lot of searching.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back