• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Estonia news (1 Viewer)

Looks like we have a resident wintering Hawk Owl near my hometown Tartu. One was found about two weeks ago and we spotted it again in the same place today.

The cold spell has finally arrived, under -20 celsius recorded at some places. Late stayers have started to migrate. Firecrest was found on the last day of 2015 in Kabli. 16th record for Estonia, last ones seen were a couple of years ago in 2013.

730 Steller's Eiders counted wintering at Saaremaa island. Quite a large number compared to recent years.

I have also started a blog at lifeonearth.ee. If you want to read more about birding and wildlife watching in Estonia check it out.

Sorry, did not see your post before. In Tallinn the harbour is not the best place. Paljassaare is good if you have time to explore. For quick birding break you can try Pirita (there is a waking path along seaside from Kadriorg to Pirita) or Stroomi and Rocca-al-mare beach.

Kaarel, do You know is harbour in Tallin worth visiting in January or it's better to skip it and look for birds on Paljassaare peninsula?

Winter hibernation is over! Spring is starting to arrive. The usual vanguards of migrants have arrived - skylarks, lapwings, stock doves, cranes, greylag geese and shelducks.

It was a nice calm evening yesterday so we did a owling drive through the forest area. Owls are feeling the spring as well. We saw one pygmy owl and heard at least 5 ural owls singing.

Is that a 'normal' return?

I thought the same last night and went out midnight until 1.30 with NO return! Although this was 'prospecting' had hoped for at least a Tawny!

Is that a 'normal' return?

It is a bit earlier spring migration start than on average. Cranes made the earliest return ever, as the first ones were spotted already on 20th of Feb. The other species are "normal" arrivers in the end of February, beginning of March depending on the climate conditions.

One Hawk Owl seen only for a day on 5th of March. We have had very few of these this winter. Two reports of Snowy Owls but no pics and no-one has been able to re-find them.

Several Red Kites spotted last week. Two very early Lesser White-fronted Geese found.

Seems to be a good year for resident owls. Lots of Ural and Pygmy Owls about. Found a Ural Owl nesting in one of my nestboxes today.

Attachments

• S0027114.JPG
    S0027114.JPG
    306.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back