• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador Planning 2 - Post Vaccination (1 Viewer)

BruceBerman

Supporter
AMAZON LODGE X 2? Soon after I retired, Covid-19 struck all of our lives and my plans to bird until I dropped were put on hold. My Ecuador trip has been postponed until January 2022, but with the money I've saved from staying home and dreaming, I will be able to spend about 2 months in Ecuador and can now include the Amazon region. I've been thinking that perhaps the best method of seeing as many Amazonian birds as possible would be to spend about 9 nights there and visit two lodges. Is this overkill? Am I crazy? Would the birds be the same wherever I stayed? Any critique of my plan or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Bruce,

This sounds like a good plan. 9 days in the Amazon is not overkill at all though. 9 weeks would be needed to see most of the birds in that region alone! The longer you can spend in the napo and sucumbios provinces the better as the birding is tricky and it takes time to find a good selection of the species there, even if you know the calls. Worth spending time on both banks of the Napo as this is a biogeographical barrier to some species which are only found on one side - gnateaters and antbirds particularly. My recommendations would be Sani Lodge and Napo Wildlife Centre, hopefully they'll both be open for visitors when the pandemic subsides.

Thanks,
Henry.

Hi Bruce,

This sounds like a good plan. 9 days in the Amazon is not overkill at all though. 9 weeks would be needed to see most of the birds in that region alone! The longer you can spend in the napo and sucumbios provinces the better as the birding is tricky and it takes time to find a good selection of the species there, even if you know the calls. Worth spending time on both banks of the Napo as this is a biogeographical barrier to some species which are only found on one side - gnateaters and antbirds particularly. My recommendations would be Sani Lodge and Napo Wildlife Centre, hopefully they'll both be open for visitors when the pandemic subsides.

Thanks,
Henr

Hi Bruce,

Thanks,
Henry

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back