• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dowitchers in Bolinas Lagoon, California, January 2023 (1 Viewer)

Eildert

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help IDing these winter plumage Dowitchers? I thought perhaps the central bird could be Short-billed based on its hump-backed appearance and barred flanks but I would be very grateful for any input.

Thanks and happy New Year,

Eildert

Attachments

• DSCF1216.jpg
    DSCF1216.jpg
    690.1 KB · Views: 60
That's right, and I'm trying to find out what can be gleaned from these. I'm curious how reliable the two field marks (hump, barred flanks) are considered to be for winter dowitchers?

That's right, and I'm trying to find out what can be gleaned from these. I'm curious how reliable the two field marks (hump, barred flanks) are considered to be for winter dowitchers?
I doubt there is any way to be sure, but it does appear that the individual on the left of the frame in the foreground could be a Short-billed Dowitcher. The others appear to have larger bodies and more humped backs, which is an awful field mark to use, but they also appear to have long-ish tibias. This is also hard to assess, but is a characteristic of Long-billed. I think most of these, if not all are probably Long-billed. Only the one on the left gives me the impression of a possible Short-billed, but these are as tough as it gets. A good side profile with the head and entire bill would provide valuable clues. Additional things to try to note in the field include the tendency for Long-billed to call frequently while feeding, while Short-billed virtually never does, and the frequent tendency for Long-billed to wade into water that is touching their belly. Short-billed do this far less often and it is a strong indication to take into account in combination with other field marks of course.

To answer your more recent question, those have never been very helpful field marks for me. I find that the head shape is by far the most reliable field mark, but only when it’s a perfect side profile. The bill length and shape can also be very helpful sometimes, not always.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back