• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dominican Republic Endemics (1 Viewer)

McShifty

Going to DR in December has anyone got any gen (specific sites,calls etc) on the following endemics:- White-fronted Quail Dove,Bay-breasted Cuckoo,Ashy-faced Owl,Least Poorwill,Palm Crow and Eastern Chat Tanager especially the new site between Cabral and Polo.
Typically their all seriously difficult jobs but any help would be much appreciated.

cheers McShifty :t:

Cheers Niels
Have emailed Kate,Steve Braun and Miguel L but their all biased towards guided tours for obvious reasons unfortunately.I prefer to find my own birds cos thats real birding.

ttfn.

I am sorry I cannot help you with that as I have not myself been to DR (yet, I hope)

Niels

McShifty,

I went with Miguel Landestoy, and we did manage to see most of the birds you listed. My trip report is on Blake Maybank's "Birding the Americas" webpage.

I'm not familiar with the new chat-tanager site you list, but here's where we saw the others:

White-fronted quail dove - Along the Alcoa Rd. Miguel knows the spot. I could find it by sight, but I did not get a km marker.

Bay-breasted cuckoo - Along the road Between La Placa and Zapoten.

Ashy-faced owl - on the road between Duverge and Puerto Escondido. Burrowing owls are far more common, but there ashy-faced among them.

Least poorwill - Along a dirt road that turns off the main coast road right at the checkpoint when leaving Barahona. Also had one at La Placa.

Palm Crow - On the old road from Duverge to Jimani near the shore of Lago Enriquillo. You need to find cactus.

I would highly recommend Miguel's services.

Cheers Jeff

I´m actually in DR right now,got your report its a great read.Will update on my progress once i get out birding,thanks for the gen.

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back