• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Domestic or hybrid mallards? England 25/2 (1 Viewer)

They look almost entirely normal (wild-type) to me. The male is in partial eclipse plumage, which explains why his head is not fully green (and also the lack of a white collar at the neck). The only odd thing I noticed about the male is that his breast is possibly a bit paler than usual, even for a duck in non-breeding plumage. That might be explained by some domestic ancestry.
Also, the female's bill is darker than is usual, though it still shows the expected orange-black-orange saddle pattern if you look closely. Again, maybe something to do with domestic ancestry, or maybe not.

They look almost entirely normal (wild-type) to me. The male is in partial eclipse plumage, which explains why his head is not fully green (and also the lack of a white collar at the neck). The only odd thing I noticed about the male is that his breast is possibly a bit paler than usual, even for a duck in non-breeding plumage. That might be explained by some domestic ancestry.
Also, the female's bill is darker than is usual, though it still shows the expected orange-black-orange saddle pattern if you look closely. Again, maybe something to do with domestic ancestry, or maybe not.
Thanks for the insightful reply. At first I thought they were mallards x shovellers but maybe they're just a funky couple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back