• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

De Biesbosch v. Texel (1 Viewer)

Sasquatch Fingers

International Man of Leisure
We are passing through the Netherlands in a bit of a whirlwind tour of the Benelux. We want to do some birding and I'm relatively certain we'll spend half a day or more at Texel. The question is, if I'm doing that, is there any reason to stop at De Biesbosch other than to spot some beaver? Is there anywhere to eat on the island or should we pack a picnic lunch? Thanks in advance.

Decide what species you like most, and check waarneming.nl. Texel has much accomodation and food. Biesbosch has beavers, but nothing generally considered special to see.

In my experience, mainland sites in between der Helder and towards Friesland are as good or better than Texel. You don't waste time and money on a ferry, too. From Campenduin, then Het Kuitje, Balgzandpolder, Den Oever and nearby forest with marsh (Noorderdijkweg), then perhaps across the dyke, you pass place after place with big concentrations of shorebirds and waterbirds. However, try to keep up with high tide from Der Helder east.

I may be somewhat biased having lived on Texel for some years, but in my opinion you can't beat it for diversity of habitat and species per surface area. Plus abundances tend to be higher than on the mainland due to lack of predation, and the facilities are excellent (hides, trails, overlooks etc.). Texel also attracts a wide variety of migrants - literally anything can show up there (see the previous threads in this section).
The island is quite small (half an hour's drive from one end to the next) but has extensive wetland and intertidal areas, sand dunes/heath, agricultural areas and a little forest. You can find plenty of info online or pm me for specific sites/species if you want. Because it's very touristic there are tons of dining options, again I can recommend some places if you know where you will be staying.
Now, for some complimentary birding then the choice of sites depends on the rest of your itinerary. If you're doing the Ardennes in eastern Belgium, then there is not much point visiting the forested Veluwe area for example. In late autumn/winter the field and lakes of Friesland are amazing for wildfowl (millions of geese and ducks). The Oostvaardersplassen and Zeeland delta (incl Biesbosch) have a lot of overlap with Texel, but some fun species such as White-tailed Eagle.

Hope this helps, have a great trip :)
Joost

A lot of good information, guys. I will have to think on this. This trip is being planned as a de-stresser and an antidote to living and traveling in Asia for so long. It really is a whirlwind and not particularly suited to more than a little birding. Pushing for a full day complicated the whole plan more than a little. Basically a road trip that starts in Frankfurt>Luxembourg en route>Brussels>Amsterdam>flight to Copenhagen>Malmö half-day, all in 8 days. Probably not what some people would consider a de-stresser, but I love to drive and I don't get to do that in India at all.

Most of my birding experience has been incidental urban/suburban and minimally or undeveloped wild spaces. I've only used a hide/blind one time in my life, at a shorebird center in New Zealand. This was set up maybe 50 yards from where the birds were (perhaps that's just where the tide was, bad timing) and it was a little frustrating since my lens isn't crazy long and I didn't own any binoculars at the time. I obviously respect whatever the locals and experts think is best to protect the wildlife, but if I'm going to be stuck in a hut with a tiny window, well past the reasonable limit of my optics, then I'd probably just opt for a different location, one where I can stroll and incidentally see quite a few birds.

So... this day will be the only birding on the trip (mostly), so not picking up any species elsewhere. Honestly, I am keeping count, but I try not to focus on numbers and let the birding come naturally. I'm not a hippy-dippy kind of guy, but I've found when I "go with the flow" and just let it happen, I have more incidental success. I'm sure, as a scientist, this is more about being more observant and aware when not focused on small or distracting details, but I try to work with it anyway. I'm not even sure I'll see a single life bird here (but probably several), but I just want to be on the edge of people chaos and enjoying the natural or semi-natural spaces as much as possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back