• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cyprus 2011 (1 Viewer)

Yeah I know... sorry, I'm not sure my odd sense of humor came across well in text. ;-)

I can understand your stance...I thought your comment was funny actually.

I felt the need to give that comment made about ex-pat birders in Cyprus some balance. Twas a bit unfair mate.

Back after a week in Cyprus. All I can say is that I had 8 ticks but it was hard work and migration had dried up a bit. Couple of pics to start with and would like the panels opinion on id

Attachments

• Picture Cyprus 2011 045.jpg
    Picture Cyprus 2011 045.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Picture Cyprus 2011 046.jpg
    Picture Cyprus 2011 046.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 101
I have put my first day's birding on my blog with some pictures. On there are pics of possible Syke's Wagtail and melanogrisea Black-headed Wagtail. Would welcome any comments. Pics too big at mo to post on here but will try

I have put my first day's birding on my blog with some pictures. On there are pics of possible Syke's Wagtail and melanogrisea Black-headed Wagtail. Would welcome any comments. Pics too big at mo to post on here but will try

Following the Cyprus updates on your blog Nick. Nice report! Well jealous of the Blue-cheeked Bee-eaters!:C

I had a week in North Cyprus in early April, I might do a trip report if I have time, but highlights included Blue-cheeked Bee-eater, Ruppell's Warbler, White Pelican, Blue Rock Thrush, Cretzchmar's Bunting & Black Francolin on the Karpaz and Masked Shrike, Cinereous Bunting, Great Spotted Cuckoo and Scops Owl in the hand at Kumyali. It was a slow start to the migration however and we missed a lot.

I had a week in North Cyprus in early April, I might do a trip report if I have time, but highlights included Blue-cheeked Bee-eater, Ruppell's Warbler, White Pelican, Blue Rock Thrush, Cretzchmar's Bunting & Black Francolin on the Karpaz and Masked Shrike, Cinereous Bunting, Great Spotted Cuckoo and Scops Owl in the hand at Kumyali. It was a slow start to the migration however and we missed a lot.

Sounds very interesting............if you get the chance please do that Jacana.

Last day of blog done. Sorry it took so long but had over 200 pics to sift thru. I think you should look at what you saw rather than what you missed. It a big island with many sites and not possible to do all everyday. On the Weds when we woke to overnight rain, it was straight to Paphos Hd like the books say. All we had was a Pied Fly and Redstart but down in Limmasool (ooops) there was quite a fall. Pick the right conditions tho and its sounds like bingo! The north does seem an untapped gem.

Got to say I bumped into some ex-pat localised birders who were most helpful and informative, tho lets be fair you get tossers everywhere!

Here here, I went over to Cyprus and met up with a birding freind who emegrated over there, they introduced us to the members of bird life cyprus, who arranged a trip for us, went along lady mile, saw my first golden oriole, and i got a great picture of a flock of pratincols, aparrntly one of the biggest groups they have seen, i found the members and all living in cyprus very warm and welcoming, and not at all like some of the birders in this country who i have found quite rude, if you are not in their click.

Attachments

• cyprus tag one set off 152.jpg
    cyprus tag one set off 152.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 50
  • cyprus tag one set off 241.jpg
    cyprus tag one set off 241.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 46
I'm off at the weekend for a couple of weeks, can't wait! Thanks for recent updates Wolfbirder, Jacana, Eagle Golden and Nick Smith, all very helpful.

I'm off at the weekend for a couple of weeks, can't wait! Thanks for recent updates Wolfbirder, Jacana, Eagle Golden and Nick Smith, all very helpful.

Indeed, excellent updates. I'm actually jealous, as I am restricted from birding much these days because of an arduous work schedule and family obligations. Even though I live here in Cyprus, I've missed several of the birds mentioned this Spring!

Nonetheless way to go to those seeing these birds. Great sightings. I would ask however that, if you haven't done so already, please email your sightings to Colin Richardson, who is the bird recorder for BirdLife Cyprus. Doing so will help keep track of the number and diversity of birds that pass through on migration!

Have a great trip, seems to be quite lively with Bee-eaters, Rollers, Lesser Kestrels, RF falcons in the valleys around Varvara and Anarita Park right now!

I agree its important to send reports in to the recorder. Nicks blog is very good with some nice photos!

Its so enticing that my wife has already agreed I can go back next spring(late March) to try for my Pallid Harrier & Blue-Cheeked bee-eater again. Gonna base myself near Paphos to do the same circuit daily - Paphos headland/Mandria/Anarita park/Aspro Dam/Phassouri Reedbeds (Akrotiri) & back again to Paphos Headland.

Got back last weekend from a really enjoyable two weeks in Cyprus, turned out where we were staying at Pissouri was really good!

I'll put some daily accounts on my blog and then provide a complete trip list/trip report etc. in the trip report section. I'm currently also sorting out all my sightings to send to the Birdlife recorder.

Cheers, Andy

Best advice? Have a great time and, at all costs, avoid any returning/resident British birders - they're the biggest bunch of t0$$ers I've ever experienced abroad: "it's my 20th visit" followed by "it's not as good as it was 10 years ago" or "it used to be better", etc etc.

Hear a lot of that on Scilly, but there it's all too true!
Will be on Cyprus (staying at Girne) over Christmas and New Year and just wondered what people reckon about the endemic subspecies (Scops Owl, Jay, Short-toed Treecreeper, Coal Tit and Crossbill), namely regarding likelihood of them being split any time soon.:smoke:

Have a great trip, seems to be quite lively with Bee-eaters, Rollers, Lesser Kestrels, RF falcons in the valleys around Varvara and Anarita Park right now!

I agree its important to send reports in to the recorder. Nicks blog is very good with some nice photos!

Its so enticing that my wife has already agreed I can go back next spring(late March) to try for my Pallid Harrier & Blue-Cheeked bee-eater again. Gonna base myself near Paphos to do the same circuit daily - Paphos headland/Mandria/Anarita park/Aspro Dam/Phassouri Reedbeds (Akrotiri) & back again to Paphos Headland.

Will be there myself first two weeks of April stopping close to Paphos headland-family holiday with as much birding as I can get away with;).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back