• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christmas in Cyprus (1 Viewer)

IDIC

Hi All,

The Wife and I are off to Cyprus for the Christmas/New Year Holiday. We will be based at an hotel on the eastern outskirts of Limassol.

This wont be a birding Holiday but I hope to get along to Lady’s Mile area at least once and also to look around the area to see what I can see.

Any advice as to what to look for and where to look for it would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks & Seasons Greetings

IDIC

Hello IDIC,

I am also heading to Cyprus for the festive with my family. this will be the second trip this year, we were over at the end of august for two weeks and had a great time. I'm currently in the prosess of writing up my trip report and some of it is already online here on Birdforum so you might want to check that out for some ideas....

I usually keep an eye on whats been seen via the Cyprus bird news website, look here: http://www.birdlifecyprus.org/index...=category&layout=blog&id=73&Itemid=83&lang=en

Limmasol is an excellent base from which to do some birding, you'll be close to Lady's mile, Zakaki Marsh at the north end of Lady's mile (Wildfowl, Waders, scarce Gulls, Pied Kingfisher, Bluethroat etc..), Bishop's pool to the south of Lady's mile (Wildfowl, Herons, Egrets, warblers, Thrushes etc )the famous Phassouri reedbed at the west end of Akrotiri salt lake and the salt lake itself which is good for Greater Flamingos, Cranes, Stonecurlew etc....

I would also recommend getting the Birdwatching guide to Cyprus by Stagg & Hearl, see here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/1900159805/ref=dp_image_text_0?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=books

There's a 99.9% chance I'll be about at these sites at some point before and after christmas day so if you want to hook up and I could show you some of the hotspots, I'd be more than happy to do so?

Hi Hairy,

Thanks for the information about Lady’s Mile. I think I will be paying at least one visit there over the Holiday. I don’t know when as yet until we see what the weather is going to be like. It’s a bit wet out in Cyprus at the moment but at least it’s a lot warmer than it is here! My Wife is very much a fair weather birder!

We were out there last Christmas/New Year but the weather was very windy and mostly very very wet.

Seasons Greetings

Yes, Lady's Mile is a tad wet in recent weeks. A few days ago the only wader seen there was a Spotted Redshank, but the week before that there was the first-ever Cyprus report of a Baird's Sandpiper there. But now the water is just too high for the smaller waders.

The Zakaki pool is pretty good still, with a variety of waterfowl, an occaisional Marsh Harrier, and some Spanish Sparrows, Bluethroats, Corn Bunting and warblers (Cetti's, Moustached) in the reeds.

I met a local teacher/birder when I went one spring. He informed me that there are sometimes wintering Wallcreepers on Cyprus so that might be a bird to ask around for?

Kensington cliffs or Avagas Gorge seem to be the places to find Wallcreeper but I suppose any steep sea cliffs along the coast could potentialy hold a bird. I'll be putting in some effort at the Kensington cliffs, I'm doubtful of getting one but you just never know......

Kensington cliffs or Avagas Gorge seem to be the places to find Wallcreeper but I suppose any steep sea cliffs along the coast could potentialy hold a bird. I'll be putting in some effort at the Kensington cliffs, I'm doubtful of getting one but you just never know......

Yes that was it, Avagas Gorge was what I was told. Best of luck!

Hi Guys

Very many thanks for all the information.

I cant see us getting out and about much if the weather does not pick up. The long range forecast is for rain right up to the day before we fly after that is uncertain as the forecast does not go that far. Fingers crossed.

The Hotel we stay at is rather good for some of the island's birds including flocks of Kestrels going after insects which is behaviour we don’t see in the UK. Last year we saw up to 15 hunting together from our balcony. Last year I was also after my first wild Vulture but didn’t have any luck at Kensington Cliffs, fortunately I saw plenty in Mallorca this Summer!

Seasons Greetings
:king:

Hi Guys

Very many thanks for all the information.

I cant see us getting out and about much if the weather does not pick up. The long range forecast is for rain right up to the day before we fly after that is uncertain as the forecast does not go that far. Fingers crossed.

The Hotel we stay at is rather good for some of the island's birds including flocks of Kestrels going after insects which is behaviour we don’t see in the UK. Last year we saw up to 15 hunting together from our balcony. Last year I was also after my first wild Vulture but didn’t have any luck at Kensington Cliffs, fortunately I saw plenty in Mallorca this Summer!

Seasons Greetings
:king:

Hi IDIC,

How did you get on during your christmas break in Cyprus? Did you see anything good?

Hi Hairy,
Had a good rest with very little in the way of birding trips, it didn’t help that I went down with a chest infection on the 2nd day there! However, antibiotics are easier to get hold of in Cyprus than they are in the UK.

I discovered a very small nature reserve in between the Hotel and the ruins of Agoras. I went there several times and saw a lot of very familiar birds that we get in the UK. I also made the following first timers Chuka, Long Legged Buzzard and Sardinian Warbler. There were an amazing amount of House Sparrows where ever we went and also had some close up views of Stone Chats and White and Grey Wagtails.

Hooded Crows all over the place as well as lots of multi coloured Pigeons.

Last year I was able to watch Raptors soaring and hunting over the hilly ground behind the Hotel but this time things have changed. You don’t need planning permission to build in Cyprus. As long as you own the land you are allowed to build what you want as long as you stick to rules about size and height. The entire hillside behind the hotel has been, or is being, built on. I saw 2 large Raptors soaring on one day and that was it (most likely Common or Long Legged Buzzards). Last year there was something everyday!

How did you get on?

We fully intend to return for Christmas 2010 when I really will hire a car and get to the Salt Lakes, Dams and Marshes.

Hi IDIC,

Glad you had a good rest, I also had a good rest with a few good days birding sprinkled in.

Best birds of the trip were the three Finsches Wheatears, Blue Rockthrush (lifers, both at Finikas) Armenian Gull (lifer), Moustached Warbler and Bluethroat at Zakaki, Caspian Gull (lifer), Siberian Stonechat (lifer), Wood lark and Serin at Mandria and the 2000+ Greater Flamingos at Akrotiri Salt Lake made for an amazing sight...

Had a few new Cyprus ticks aswell i.e. Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush etc but failed on my attempt to find Wallcreeper, they're just so hard to find!

Good luck for next time when you go back, you'll no doubt find a lot more bird with the help of a hired car....

Take care.
Sandy

....Best birds of the trip were the three Finsches Wheatears, Blue Rockthrush (lifers, both at Finikas) Armenian Gull (lifer), Moustached Warbler and Bluethroat at Zakaki, Caspian Gull (lifer), Siberian Stonechat (lifer), Wood lark and Serin at Mandria and the 2000+ Greater Flamingos at Akrotiri Salt Lake made for an amazing sight...

Hmmm, now Cyprus in winter sounds a lot more tempting!

Was it warm or like an English spring?

Yes, a hire car is the answer but, as I drive around 200 miles a day as part of my job, I do tend to dismiss any thoughts about hiring cars, busman’s holiday and all that! However, I will be getting one next visit!

Temperature wise Cyprus is great in winter. We were out around the pool in shorts and t-shirts most of the days. You can only stay out until around 2pm as the sun is much lower than in summer and that’s when it gets too cold to sunbath.

I have a photo of folks sat around the pool on Christmas Day with a poor bloke dressed up as Santa wishing everyone a “Merry Christmas”. He was boiling.

I believe that February and March can be very wet in Cyprus before things turn sunnier for spring. Christmas is not always good weather either, in 2008 we had 7 dry days and 7 torrential rain days so you have to take you chance.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back