• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cancun area (1 Viewer)

screech-owl

This December, I will be visiting the Cancun area. I will have one day to go birding, and I was wondering if there are any good birding spots (lowland forests spots especially) within 30min to 1 hour away from Cancun.

The closest place mentioned in the excellent "Where to watch birds in Mexico" by Steve Howell (who also authored the best field guide), is Jardin Botanico Alfredo Barrera M. I didn't visit on my one trip to the region, as I was was with a non-birder so confined my birding to the many archaeological sites that are also some of the best places for birding. The book says the botanic gardens is 20 to 30 mins south of Cancun on route 307, which is the main Cancun to Chetumal highway. Head south to Puerto Morelos (32 km south of Cancun airport overpass). From the Pemex gas station in Puerto Morelos continue south 1.1km and look on the left (east) for a large, red-bordered, whitish concrete sign for the botanic garden.
Good luck.

Tom

Hi, Corey -
If you try the Botanical Gardens, you have to go past the entrance as you are driving south and use the next "retorno" to make a u-turn and head north to access the Gardens. It doesn't open until fairly late, (for birders anyway), but we got there an hour early and we were let in the worker's entrance about 50 meters further north from the main entrance.

There is a road that heads east from Puerto Morelos to Central Vallarta that has been at least partially paved since I was last on it. The secondary growth habitat along the road was excellent for many kilometers. I seem to remember a white masonry arch visible from the main highway that marked the entrance on the road.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back