• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camargue (1 Viewer)

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
I'm off to the Camargue with some friends at the end of October and was wondering if anyone has any top tips.

I've had a good look though the trip reports and have an idea of where to go but if anyone has any hints I would be grateful.

Thanks

Mono

Here's a couple of ideas.

From Arles, take the D36 on the west side of the Rhône and go down almost to the sea (beyond Salin de Giraud) to the Domaine de la Palissade http://www.palissade.fr/.

Also, try the D36B (which branches off the D36 towards Gageron) and which runs down the eastern side of the Etang de Vaccarès. There are viewing platforms every so often. On this road is the reserve at La Capelière (3€ I think) and it has another site on the same road a bit further south. You can continue down that road as far as they will let you and then walk out along the dyke that goes to the lighthouse of la Gacholle (and ultimately to Les Saintes Maries de la Mer).

I saw some great stuff on the walking trails behind Musee de la Camargue, which is on the road between Arles and St Marie de la Mare

Roller, Little Bittern, Zitting Cisticola, Short Toed Eagle, spectacled warbler

It's a great place. Enjoy

Thanks for the tips, I have a map which I have been marking things on yours are now duly noted.

Does anyone know if the Wallcreepers will be in Baux by next week.

Hello,

I hope it's okay to use this thread to ask about the Camargue in May when I'm hoping to go. I'm planning on staying in or near Arles.

Does anyone know how easy it is to get around: are there buses, or are taxis reasonably priced? I'm unlikely to have a car. I want to see flamingos. Is that something I could do by myself or would I need to go on an organised trip?

Thanks.

Madeleine,

Having started this thread and just returned from the trip mentioned...

Camargue is a great bird habitat and as such there is a lot to be seen from simply driving and walking around, it does have some UK style nature reserves with visitor centres and trails but with out a car these would be difficult to reach. If don't mind a bit of walking and have good enough French to tell the bus drivers where to stop then a couple are accessible by bus. The easiest is the Pont de Gau Ornithological Park, the bus to Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer goes right past it, plus if you go on to Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer there are lots of good lagoons within walking distance. Another good bus accessible birding spot is to go up to Baux and walk around the rock.

There are companies that run "Experience Camargue" trips out of Arles that will take you to see bulls, horses and flamingos, but if you want to do more than that you will have to do it yourself or if you want to pay you can contact these folk http://www.wildlifeprovencale.com/about-us/

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back