• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Burton Mere Wetlands (2 Viewers)

Lots on view at BMW and IMF today. First sightings for me of Curlew Sandpiper and Pectoral Sandpiper from the Centre and a Spotted Redshank from IMF. Also there were views of a Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and Marsh Harrier from Marsh Covert hide.

However, the piece' de resistance was some great views of a female Marsh Harrier on the wing close to IMF hide.

Other birds on view from both venues included Greenshank, Black-Tailed Godwits, Canada Geese, Greylags, Teal, Tufted Duck, Ruff, Coots, Mallard, Moorhen, Pied Wagtail, Lapwing.

On the Centre feeders, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Nuthatch, Chaffinch, Bullfinch, GS Woodpecker.

Excellent day and thoroughly worth visiting the venues.

Crops of a few photos taken today (in bad light). Obviously a female Marsh Harrier, followed by 2 spotted redshanks and 3 greenshanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 177
Went to Burton Mere on Sun 16th with 6 others from the Shropshire Ornithological Society, my first time and was really impressed. Although some of the others saw upwards of 40 different species between the inner marsh hide (old site) and the new site hides I only counted 33. As a novice I think that was quite good and here is a list of just a few

16 Sep Burton Mere Wetlands

60. Little Egret (Egretta garzetta)
61. Marsh Harrier (Circus aeruginosus)
62. Shoveler (Anas clypeata)
63. Bar Tailed Godwit (Limosa lapponica)
64. Black Tailed Godwit (Limosa limosa)
65. Black Swan
66. Spotted Redshank (Tringa erythropus)
67. Golden Plover (Pluvialis apricaria)
68. Greenshank (Tringa nebularia)
69. Teal (Anas crecca)
70. Lesser Black backed Gull (Larus fuscus)
71. Common Gull (Larus canus)
72. Dab
73. Ruff (Philomachus pugnax)
74. Wheatear (Oenanthe oenanthe)
75. Little Owl (Athene noctua)
76. Swallow (Hirundo rustica)
77. Pectoral Sandpiper (Calidris acuminata)
78. Meadow Pipit (Anthus pratensis).

You did well to see all those on your list. I like IMF better than the centre hide and Marsh Covert. More tranquil and not having to look through glass is great.

Crops of a few photos taken today (in bad light). Obviously a female Marsh Harrier, followed by 2 spotted redshanks and 3 greenshanks.

Nice pictures, the Marsh Harrier is likley to be a juvenile given the very dark colour to the upper and underparts rather than a female which usually have some streaking on their cream crowns, and should be in moult at this time of year, so not a pristine looking as your bird.
regards
Hugh :t:

Nice pictures, the Marsh Harrier is likley to be a juvenile given the very dark colour to the upper and underparts rather than a female which usually have some streaking on their cream crowns, and should be in moult at this time of year, so not a pristine looking as your bird.
regards
Hugh :t:

Thought the plumage looked a bit knocked-about though, leading me to believe it was a female not a youngster. Anyway it gave us spectacular views quartering the reeds at around 50 yards distance.

Swifty49, Must admit I preferred IMF myself but the whole thing will be great when they finish the walkway between the two areas. Yes we had a really good day was there from 0930 to 1600. As I said my first time there and it certainly will not be my last.

Rubbish record shot attached - I blame the heat haze! Lovely to see so many people enjoying a cracking reserve today. Well done to Paul and all the other staff and volunteers.

Attachments

• SabinesGullBurtonMere220912-2.jpg
    SabinesGullBurtonMere220912-2.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 128
How are water levels after the recent monsoons? Do they tend to fluctuate or does the drainage keep them fairly constant? Do the smaller waders tend to vanish if the level rises? Save me the tunnel fees and diesel if conditions are not very favourable!

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/placestovisit/deeestuary/b/deeestuary-blog/archive/2012/09.aspx

The link above might be useful, I don't think this forum is used as much as it used to be. A shame really as I too like the place, but I can't find an up to date sightings site.:t:john

Try to keep up to speed on all the various forums and pages but your best bet for updates are the twitter (@RSPB_BurtonMere) or Facebook pages.

The www.rspb.org.uk/deeestuary has our blog posts on it too, try to get around to doing them a couple of times a week.

If you want to help us then using Bird Track to input your sightings automatically updates our sightings on the RSPB pages.

Anyhow, nice female merlin today plus 2 marsh harriers (juveniles) and 40 pink-footed geese came in high form the east

UTB Paul

Fairly quiet in the IMf hide today, a couple of kestrels, a few lapwings and a solitary ruff.

Then a female hen harrier made up for the quiet spell, with a couple of visits. Including one magnificent flypast right in front of the hide which flushed a snipe!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back