• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Broken focusknob Swarovski EL, more people having this? (1 Viewer)

kwikstaart

1000020394.jpg
A friend from Asia posted his broken focusknob on Facebook. He agreed that I post it here. I know two more birders who had the same and it also happened in warm, humid conditions. Are their more owners familiar with this problemen? Although I am sure swaro will solve this I wonder what could be the problem.

Last edited:
I've never heard of this before, not common at all.
It could be abuse or not knowing how to adjust the diopter.

It's certainly not common, though I've seen two used EL SV’s for sale with the focuser cover missing
(one had a white plastic screw cap as a replacement!).

As can be seen the focuser cover (along with the marked end cap) slides on over the complex underlying mechanism,
though it's not clear how it is retained:

EL SV focuser.jpg

The complexity is necessary to translate the rotation of the focuser knob, to a front and rear motion to move the focusing lenses,
taking into account the very small space in the bridge arms.
(Contrast that to the relative simplicity possible where there is a full length bridge such as with the Leica Ultarvid HD,
as shown in posts #8 and 15 at: Sticky Focus Wheels )

The original EL has 270 components, and while the EL SV's focuser was much simplified, it still has around 170 components.
For more, see posts #49, 52 and 60 at: Binocular Weight, a Triviality?

I’ve also attached a full copy of the EL SV image below.

John

Attachments

• EL SV.jpg
    EL SV.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back