• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brand New Genus...not yet officially published! (1 Viewer)

thyoloalethe

OK so this is pretty exciting...I've been waiting for this one for years now. The article has yet to be published but the abstract (from the Ibis - online early) can be read at the following URL:

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1474-919X.2006.00626.x

The article will reveal that not only is the Frogmouth that occurs in the Solomon Islands (currently subspecies inexpectatus of the Marbled Frogmouth - Podargus ocellatus), a separate species, but represents an entirely new genus. Further, the new genus is apparently not closer to either Podargus (Australo-Papuan Frogmouths) or Batrachostomus (Asian Frogmouths) - these 2 genera are often separated as subfamilies and sometimes families, so the new genus would seem to force a reexamination of this ararngement.

The new genus name is not mentioned in the abstract, and I wasn't willing to pay the article cost of $39 to find out, so I fiddled with google a bit and managed to tease it out. The authors propose the new genus name Rigidipenna from the Latin rigidus (stiff) and penna (feather), so I imagine that stiff feathers, likely remiges or rectrices, are fairly distinctive in this species.

If you have access to HBW vol. 5, have a look at plate 23 - inexpectatus looks very different in terms of plumage from the other birds on the plate. I don't know how it ever ended up as just a subspecies in the first place.

martinf said:
I have a copy if you would like it

I have a website I can store it on (so everyone has access) if you e-mail it to me - PM me if you want to e-mail it and I'll give you my e-mail.

overworkedirish said:
I have a website I can store it on (so everyone has access) if you e-mail it to me - PM me if you want to e-mail it and I'll give you my e-mail.

I imagine there are copyright laws involved in posting it on a website........

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back