• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black&white duck;Medium size;South-West Romania[banat region] (1 Viewer)

otosnomos

Romania
Description: see pics

Seen at the Timiş river flowing in Lugojel, started at 12 and stopped at around 13:48
Sounds unknown as they did not produce any call:
There were ones with black head and ones with brown head, Im guessing this is a difference between sexes;

The weather was warm especially for this period, around 7C; clear sky; barely any wind
Birding was done today;

Excluding mallard because:
Their size is not big; Dominance of white; No green for any of the males; No color pattern of mallards

My guess is Northen pintail

Attachments

• 20230122_135707.jpg
    20230122_135707.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 52
  • 20230122_131547.jpg
    20230122_131547.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
  • 20230122_131543.jpg
    20230122_131543.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • 20230122_122812.jpg
    20230122_122812.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 50
  • 20230122_122810.jpg
    20230122_122810.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
  • 20230122_122806.jpg
    20230122_122806.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 49

Seen at the Timiş river flowing in Lugojel, started at 12 and stopped at around 13:48
There were ones with black head and ones with brown head, Im guessing this is a difference between sexes;

The weather was warm especially for this period, around 7C; clear sky; barely any wind
Birding was done today;

Their size is not big; Dominance of white; No green for any of the males; No color pattern of mallards

Another option can be domestic mallard but not sure

Goosander Mergus merganser, I think, because of hooked bill in the first photo and the wing pattern in the 2nd last photo and the last.

Apart from the Goosanders, could the bird on the left in the 4th photo be a Common Goldeneye (minus artifacts)?

EDIT: Additional arguments for Goosander: light brown head and white & grey body (female/immature) or dark green head and black & white body (male), slender build.

Apart from the Goosanders, could the bird on the left in the 4th photo be a Common Goldeneye (minus artifacts)?

EDIT: Additional arguments for Goosander: light brown head and white & grey body (female/immature) or dark green head and black & white body (male), slender build.
Mmm I see, they indeed do look like goosanders.
For the goldeneye ID, I think the head isnt too "bulky" for goldeneye.

I looked at these photos and immediately thought of Goosander, but although I still hold to that, I can see where the pattern could be also Goldeneye, especially with image quality I think. (No offence intented, we all wish our gear could reach that little bit futher, don't we?)

Birding was done today;

Forgot to mention, this may be very important:
One of those guys done a low alt flight, I got to see a glimpse of their body:
The chest, throat were basically all white, the wings too but:
It had some orange-brownish color under the wings in the back of them, I saw that when it landed

The quality is much better without the camera, Im looking right now at goosanders pics and they seem to match pretty much the male desc perfectly, however the female version seems to give me a doubt because its head is very tufted, which I did not observe, as you can see guys the pics does not show any tufted head to the female.

About the bill: I could not see it too much but it was not bulky, thats all I can say

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back