• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black bird fledgling (1 Viewer)

Sazzyox

United Kingdom
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post, however just seen a magpie trying to take a fledgling, which I know magpies are known for that kind of thing however the parents chased the magpie but the magpie was still chasing the fledging, I went out and the magpie flew off. However, the fledgling is in the garden over the road from its original nesting place, assuming as I didn’t see it fly back over or follow the parents, but my question is, will the parents still go over and feed it or will it go back home? I mean, I don’t know if it was injured as it’s not my garden but it was flying to escape the magpie but clearly couldn’t fly too well as it’s still so young but vocal when being chased. But assuming it will still be cared for? It’s not too far from its nest so I’m just wondering if it will still be cared for as I’d hate to know that it will now be abandoned? I know nature is nature. But just out of curiosity will the parents still go and tend to it? I’m guessing it was a fledgling due to it flying but I couldn’t quite see due to the magpie being in the way. Thanks in advance!!

Yes, the dark side of survival and nature.....hence why some birds have large clutches or broods - to ensure or try to keep the species going ( hoping one or more will again becoming a breeding adult ). Magpies and other Corvids are persistent and have the same instints in order to feed their young. Unfortunately a separated fledgling quickly becomes easy prey. The parent Blackbirds will resist but eventually have to abandon the stray to protect the rest of the fledglings.

Yes, the dark side of survival and nature.....hence why some birds have large clutches or broods - to ensure or try to keep the species going ( hoping one or more will again becoming a breeding adult ). Magpies and other Corvids are persistent and have the same instints in order to feed their young. Unfortunately a separated fledgling quickly becomes easy prey. The parent Blackbirds will resist but eventually have to abandon the stray to protect the rest of the fledglings.
Thank you for the quick reply. We have a few sparrowhawks round here also so the poor thing might have become a meal for one of them. I just feel sad because I try and cater for them all daily(of course not over feeding as I don’t want them dependant) but I do feed all from sparrows to jackdaws and magpies. And I’d already fed them this morning and up until now, never had any issues with magpies going for any of them. So it was kind of sad to see. Especially when this blackbird and female blackbird come and wait for me to put breakfast out for them. I just really hope they got the baby to go home but I guess it could also die of shock maybe. I think I’m just so attached to the birds because I love watching them, you forget about the sad part of nature. But thank you. I hope it was a happy ending but we will see in the next few days if the fledgling shows again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back