• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds around Manchester (1 Viewer)

BW Stilt did indeed nest there and came within an ace of fledging a chick before a presumed predator stepped in.

There was a less celubrious but relatively unusual Knot there this morning. Water Rail is a possibility there too.

There is a thread dedicated to reports from the site on the Focalpoint Optics forum.

As ever, lots of local Manchester info on:

www.manchesterbirding.com and its associated Forum.

Thanks for the link, it brings back memories. I played on Smith's field as a kid but wouldn't have noticed hobbies, or even sparrows then to be honest. I was under the impression there are no decent birds in Timperley!

The Great White Egret is still around - Rindle Road, Astley Moss off the East Lancs - mornings, and early are best as the bird frequents roadside ditches until disturbed then moves to a private site with no access.

Photos courtesy of Mike Ribbands.

Attachments

• Great White Egret - Astley.jpg
    Great White Egret - Astley.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Great White Egret - Astley (1).jpg
    Great White Egret - Astley (1).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Great White Egret - Astley (2).jpg
    Great White Egret - Astley (2).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 88
  • Great White Egret - Astley (4).jpg
    Great White Egret - Astley (4).jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 89
HI...Ever seen Green Woodpeckers around Manchester my b/f Mark wants to see one and hasn't yet !

Reddisher Woods on the side of Holcombe Hill is a good place although they can be difficult to spot. I have seen a juvenile at Knob End (stop giggling at the back) at the Farnworth end of the Bury - Bolton canal.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I'm trying to find out which Counties still use the Watsonian Vice County system to record birds in and which go by whatever the political boundary may change to (and why).

The Watsonian Vice County system was set to accurately record and compare historical and modern data and it seems that there can be/is confusion when some counties no longer use this system whilst others do. Does anyone in your county have a view on this ? Discussion here if anyone has a comment:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=142074

ps this is not about getting more or less county ticks, more a question about uniformity in recording.

Johnny Allan

Wow... what a neglected thread! Anyway, it may be nearly 4 years since the last time anyone did any birding in Manchester, but I'm going to post anyway! ;)

Was down in Cheshire with work this week, and heading back home (via Preston), I stopped off at Orrell Water Park to eat my butties, and had a wander around the various lakes and pools. And an hour's amble gave a good list of birds.

The feeding station was very busy:
Chaffinch 15+
Brambling 4+ (possibly more, but were less easy to count as they flew in, took a seed and flew off)
Greenfinch 3
Bullfinch 1f
Blue tit 8+
Great tit 2+
Blackbird 3
Robin 2
Reed bunting 2
Collared dove 2
Willow tit 1

On the main lake by the car park, nothing too interesting:
Black-headed gull 100+ (including two ringed birds but couldn't make out any details)
Mallard 30+
Canada goose 25+
Coot 2
Moorhen 6

In the woods and bushes at the south end of the park, and the surrounding farmland:
Long-tailed tit 4
Wood pigeon 10+
Dunnock 1
Magpie 8+
Crow 3
Kestrel 1

And upstream from the park:
Grey wagtail 1

So 23 species in all; not bad for a lunch break at a new site :)

Last edited:
I work in Brookside business park Chadderton and the Wince brook runs thro it. Regular birds on the brook are a female grey wagtail, a dunnock, long tail tits, and at the moment later in the day house martins buzz the brook and bridge taking insects in flight....

This first post on Birds around Manchester mentions Wince Brook, an under-watched urban local patch. 10 years on and there currently an over-wintering Siberian Chiffchaff at this site.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back