• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding krugerpark (1 Viewer)

We took a flask and made coffeee to take out with us every day, every small comfort helps.

Can I offer a small bit of advice for safely watching Elephants. Position your car, so that you can get away quickly if needed, without having to do a panicked reverse. We saw some real idiots and if an animal gets agitated, you may want to retreat a little and it's best not done backwards! Often, the parking areas at the water holes, mean that watching is done with the exit behind you, try and face the exit.

I second that advice re elephants. Keep a polite distance at all times, no matter what you see other idiots doing (min distance 60m but we prefer to give ourselves plenty of room for maneuvering ). Never get between a baby and its family members. The guys in musth are the other ones to keep an eye on as they become very aggressive and unpredictable. The signs are the release of secretions from a gland behind the eye which makes a noticeable wet mark down the sides of the elephant's head, and the almost constant dribbling of urine from its penis. If you ever get stuck too close, switch off your engine, sit tight, don't stare at them and project positive caring thoughts as strongly as you can.

The best times to make sure you are at waterholes is in the early mornings and the afternoons from about half past three on. If you go to Nzimande dam at Satara in the afternoon, position yourself towards the end of the dam furthest from Satara but facing Satara or the setting sun will ruin sightings and photographs by shining straight into your eyes otherwise!

Last edited:
You wouldn't believe some of the things we saw.

As we drove down to exit the park, we spotted a stationary car with no one in it. To out amazement, we then saw several people, including well dressed women in high heeled shoes, 75m from their car, approaching a Girrafe. They actually gave the impression that they'd been out all night and decided to come to the park as an afterthought.

I have no idea what they thought Kruger is but when we shouted to them to get back in the car as there were Buffalo and Lion close by, they seemed totally shocked and literally started running back to the car, I think they thought it was a petting zoo, to leave you vehicle in such a way is simple lunacy.

Even Giraffe should never be approached on foot, they kill Lions with a kick so a person would be no problem.

Last edited:
You wouldn't believe some of the things we saw.

As we drove down to exit the park, we spotted a stationary car with no one in it. To out amazement, we then saw several people, including well dressed women in high heeled shoes, 75m from their car, approaching a Girrafe. They actually gave the impression that they'd been out all night and decided to come to the park as an afterthought.

I have no idea what they thought Kruger is but when we shouted to them to get back in the car as there were Buffalo and Lion close by, they seemed totally shocked and literally started running back to the car, I think they thought it was a petting zoo, to leave you vehicle in such a way is simple lunacy.

Even Giraffe should never be approached on foot, they kill Lions with a kick so a person would be no problem.

I'm afraid I believe it! Unfortunately in the past there has been very little education in terms of how to behave in a park where dangerous animals roam free. This particularly applies to some categories of local indigenous people whom SANParks is quite rightly trying to attract to the park but did not have the forethought to run some kind of education program for first, and secondly many overseas visitors who either cant read/don't understand the English language rules or ignore them. The parks personnel are now beginning to get strict with people they find breaking the rules and there is a dedicated number to phone regarding this plus you can send in photos with visible number-plates so that they can catch the perpetrators at the gate. You may think this is sneaky, but its for the sake of preserving wild life: several elephants and a leopard have been shot to my knowledge because ignorant people behaved badly in the park and then were attacked.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back