• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Seattle (1 Viewer)

Mable, you didn't say how long you were going to be there but a few places I wouldn't miss (was just out there for 2 weeks) are Nisqually NWR (just south of Tacoma), Montlake Fill (Univ. of WA Arboretum in Seattle), Maryknoll Park in Redmond, WA (just a few miles east of Seattle), Mt Rainier NP if it's still open and not too cold, .... ....Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge - located near Sequim in Clallam County, Washington, on the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Key wintering and spring gathering area for brant and other waterfowl. The calmer waters of Dungeness Bay make this an outstanding shorebird area. (Out on Olympic pennsula, Olympic NP if you have time. If real short of time, try the Edmonds Ferry landing and park, go over to Bainbridge Island (short drive) and try Point-no-point park and Foul Weather Bluff. See the following web sites for more suggestions:

http://www.camacdonald.com/birding/uswashington.htm

http://www.birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/TWET.html

If you've got time, join Tweeter (email birding list for Washington).

Hope that helps, there is an excellent book put out by the American Birding Association:

A Birder's Guide to Washington (ABA Birdfinding Guide Series)
Code: 443
Price: $27.95

Hal Opperman
ABA; Published 2003; 650 pages; paper
Washington's many terrestrial and aquatic communities provide habitat for 478 species of birds. This guide details hundreds of birding routes a ...see web URL:

http://americanbirding.org/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ASBS&Category_Code=BRGWA

Hope this is of some small assistance....and hey guy, good birding!

Jaeger near Chicago

Last edited:
Mabel said:
In the New Year I am going to Seattle. Anybody familiar with birding in the area? Cheers.

I second Jaeger's suggestions. Minor correction: the park in Redmond is Marymoor, not Maryknoll.

I would add Discovery Park in Seattle. If you're in the area during the winter months, check out the Skagit Flats (North of Seattle) for geese, ducks and raptors. A trip out to Ocean Shores (on the coast) is worthwile too.

Also, check out the Seattle Audubon, Pilchuck Audubon, and East Lake Washington Audubon (ELWAS) society web pages. They frequently plan field trips where you could carpool with a local birder.

-Llewellyn

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back