• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Iceland in July-Aug 2023 (1 Viewer)

SandhillCrane02

Call me Neil!
United States
Hello all! I hope this is the right place to post this
Basically, I'm gonna be going on a 9 day trip to Iceland this summer (from July 31 to August 8) as part of a sustainable energy and environmental science program my university partners with. A lot of the trip will be spent on the educational aspect and not my own free time to do whatever I want, so I'd like to ask a bit in advance so I can really keep my eyes peeled-- what can I expect to see? Where should I be paying attention most? I downloaded the Iceland birds pack on Merlin and just a cursory glance at it shows there's definitely a lot of waterfowl, most of which I've never seen in my life. Does anyone who's been to Iceland before know where birds tend to be found?

The main thing I want to see are Puffins, but I'm pretty sure based on what my friend who's done the trip before said, the group will specifically be going to see them on the cliffs.

Hey! I'm going to Iceland in a couple weeks, and have been skimming reports on bird to see what I'm most likely to see, and where. From what I'm seeing the Snaefellsnes peninsula is a an active area. My focus is mostly around Reykjavik and the S/SE part of the country because of the possible road closures due to winter weather, but you shouldn't have to contend with much of that in the summer! Even still, I'll be sure to report back with my findings :)

Hey! I'm going to Iceland in a couple weeks, and have been skimming reports on bird to see what I'm most likely to see, and where. From what I'm seeing the Snaefellsnes peninsula is a an active area. My focus is mostly around Reykjavik and the S/SE part of the country because of the possible road closures due to winter weather, but you shouldn't have to contend with much of that in the summer! Even still, I'll be sure to report back with my findings :)
Awesome I would love to hear about it! As luck would have it, the place where I'll be taking the classes is in Reykjavik so there should be the same species around there

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back