• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird call ID (London, UK) (1 Viewer)

markuss

United Kingdom
Hi. Just joined in an attempt to identify a bird we've been hearing lately & can't figure out. For reference, we're in central(ish - Finsbury Park) London and our place backs onto a small, inaccessible, overgrown woodland area. We only noticed the call a couple of days ago and neither of us has heard it before. It's a slowish, measured series of four or five 'toots', similar to the the Greenwich Time Signal! The nearest we've found so far is the Great Spotted Woodpecker (♫ Great Spotted Woodpecker - song / call / voice / sound.), but it's definitely a deeper/'fuller' tone. We've been hearing it around about 10pm/11pm. Thanks.

Hi. Just joined in an attempt to identify a bird we've been hearing lately & can't figure out. For reference, we're in central(ish - Finsbury Park) London and our place backs onto a small, inaccessible, overgrown woodland area. We only noticed the call a couple of days ago and neither of us has heard it before. It's a slowish, measured series of four or five 'toots', similar to the the Greenwich Time Signal! The nearest we've found so far is the Great Spotted Woodpecker (♫ Great Spotted Woodpecker - song / call / voice / sound.), but it's definitely a deeper/'fuller' tone. We've been hearing it around about 10pm/11pm. Thanks.
Not that it's very likely, but worth checking a Scops Owl recording just in case

Not that it's very likely, but worth checking a Scops Owl recording just in case
That seems to be it! As I was listening to it my partner thought it was outside calling. We've probably heard it 2 or 3 evenings now (maybe slightly later than I though - 11pm/midnight). Always has the same 4 or 5 toots. Thank you!

That seems to be it! As I was listening to it my partner thought it was outside calling. We've probably heard it 2 or 3 evenings now (maybe slightly later than I though - 11pm/midnight). Always has the same 4 or 5 toots. Thank you!
If it is, you should really try to get a recording if possible (could confirm it either way). If there's public access a lot of people would be interested if it did turn out to be one

If it is, you should really try to get a recording if possible (could confirm it either way). If there's public access a lot of people would be interested if it did turn out to be one
Yes, I’m try with the Merlin app tonight. No public access to the land I’m afraid.

Also, my partner now tells me she’s heard this for at least the last week. I’ll have to pay more attention!

Managed to get a couple of recordings. There were actually 15 ‘tweets’ in a row each time. Probaby we simply didn’t hear all of them before. Roughly the same time though - 10:45/10:50pm

Attachments

• 1st unknown.mp3
    849.6 KB
  • 2nd unknown.mp3
    822.4 KB
That's man made.....some sort of electrical device.Alarm monitor/ camera etc.
Yep definitely (y)

I've cleaned it up a little and increased the volume and you can clearly hear a motor or electrical fan start when the 'beeps' start, and end when they end.

Is it April again already :D

Attachments

• london bird edit.mp3
    823.8 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back