• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arcachon, West of Bordeaux (1 Viewer)

Mayo Corncrake

Going to Arcachon next June. Any good sites for Little bustard, lesser spotted woodpecker woodlark or goshawk nearby?
Thanks

Last edited:
Woodlark and Lsr. Spotted Woodpecker should be relatively easy in and around Arcachon, LSW in particular could turn up anywhere (parks, gardens, camp sites, etc. anywhere with a few trees and bushes really).
Goshawk in June ? You'd be very lucky !
Little Bustard doesn't breed anywhere in the Arcachon area but if you're travelling there by car from northern France then you could make a detour for them in Charente-Maritime (probably needs a few hours of searching though).

Hope this helps,

Eugene

Woodlark and Lsr. Spotted Woodpecker should be relatively easy in and around Arcachon, LSW in particular could turn up anywhere (parks, gardens, camp sites, etc. anywhere with a few trees and bushes really).
Goshawk in June ? You'd be very lucky !
Little Bustard doesn't breed anywhere in the Arcachon area but if you're travelling there by car from northern France then you could make a detour for them in Charente-Maritime (probably needs a few hours of searching though).

Hope this helps,

Eugene

Thanks Eugene. Will be getting the TGV from Paris to Arcachon so won't be able to stop in Charente-Maritime. Thanks for the tips on woodlark and LSW.:t:

I don't know if you've already birded that part of France but from a Mayo birder's point of view, and even without transport, there should be plenty of nice stuff to keep you occupied: Firecrests, Bluethroat, Nightjar, Dartford Warbler, Savi's, a few raptors, possibility of something interesting wader-wise at le Teich (http://www.reserve-ornithologique-du-teich.com/en), Sardinian Warbler is spreading northwards from the Basque country and the bay itself could turn up a good bird in June. Lots of good habitats surrounding the numerous campsites etc so worth exploring. Good luck and drop me a line if you need more info.

Eugene

I don't know if you've already birded that part of France but from a Mayo birder's point of view, and even without transport, there should be plenty of nice stuff to keep you occupied: Firecrests, Bluethroat, Nightjar, Dartford Warbler, Savi's, a few raptors, possibility of something interesting wader-wise at le Teich (http://www.reserve-ornithologique-du-teich.com/en), Sardinian Warbler is spreading northwards from the Basque country and the bay itself could turn up a good bird in June. Lots of good habitats surrounding the numerous campsites etc so worth exploring. Good luck and drop me a line if you need more info.

Eugene
Many thanks Eugene. Any good pelagic trips in Arcachon area? I will have a car for 5 days.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back