• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Apaloderma camerunense delhoyoi (1 Viewer)

Mike Earp

UK Birder
United Kingdom
Apaloderma camerunense delhoyoi, subsp. nov. (A. S. Kennedy, P. Boesman, N. J. Collar & L. D. C. Fishpool 2022. Geographical
variation in the Bar-tailed Trogon Apaloderma vittatum, Bull. B.O.C. 142(4): 509–525):
Etymology.—In conceiving, creating and editing the incomparable and immense Handbook of the birds of the world (1992‒2013) Josep del Hoyo made one of the greatest contributions to world ornithology of any single human being, and ignited new interest in the discrimination of subspecies simply by assiduously illustrating so many of them and, after vol. 2, requiring each to be given a thumbnail diagnosis. We name this new taxon for him in tribute and gratitude.

There is also the subspecies francisci in that paper. It is not found in Jobling 2010.
Regards
In Ibis 1903, p. 389, Alexander wrote that he named francisci "after Colonel Boyd Francis Alexander", but he did not say who that was. Presumably his son?
Note that the original description is in Bull. Brit. Orn. Club 13, p. 33.

As a newcomer to this forum, I had not seen that thread. Quite interesting.
By the way it seems like nobody remarked on the possible middle name of the ornithologist Boyd Alexander, but if his name had been exactly identical to his father's, he would have called himself Junior in his writings? I have not seen any use of Junior, nor of a middle name, in those writings. See also the obituary by Ogilvie-Grant 1910, Ibis, pp. 716-729. Again, no mention of any middle name, or of Junior.

As many of his British ornithologist colleagues of the time, he usually secured himself authorship of his discoveries (new birds) by quickly publishing short diagnoses in Bull. BOC. Then more "full" descriptions, with accompanying information (like what the new names meant, whom he had named the birds after, etc.), and often with colour plates showing the most interesting new species, etc, appeared in longer papers, typically in Ibis.
Some of his first collections were possibly worked up by someone else (at the BMNH?), and novelties described by them, not sure if I remember correctly, but some of you probably know.

There should be about ten pages about Boyd Alexander in the 1988 book of the Mearns couple, Biographies for Birdwatchers. Unfortunately I do not have it, I only have their later book, The Bird Collectors, in which I found the reference to 1988.

Fred,

Apaloderma vittatum francisci was named after Lt.-Col. Boyd Francis Alexander (1834-1917), father of the explorer Capt. Boyd Francis Alexander (see Barbara & Richard Mearns, 2022, Biographies for Birdwatchers, revised & expanded ed., 1, pp. 8-14; and also the free on-line site The Key to Scientific Names, part of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology Birds of the World (referred to by Mike #4) – of which, casting modesty to the winds, I am the editor; this resource supercedes my Dictionaries of 1991 and 2010). In days of yore, it was not the custom of the English landed gentry to use Sr. and Jr. to distinguish different generations with the same names.

All serenity. James.

Last edited:
There is also the subspecies francisci in that paper. It is not found in Jobling 2010.
Hi "FredBras", and, as you're a "New member", welcome to BirdForum. (y)

As you will notice many (or most) ssp. wasn't included in Jobling 2010, but they sure are in today's Key (see below):
... the free on-line site The Key to Scientific Names, part of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology Birds of the World (referred to by Mike #4) ...
= here (alt. here, or here).

The Key is continuously, frequently, constantly updated, both amended and improved (just about every day – thanks to James's assiduity and perseverance).

Enjoy!

Björn

PS. In my notes (and MS) I have the junior guy as nothing but: "Boyd Alexander (1873–1910)"

Last edited:
Fred,

Apaloderma vittatum francisci was named after Lt.-Col. Boyd Francis Alexander (1834-1917), father of the explorer Capt. Boyd Francis Alexander (see Barbara & Richard Mearns, 2022, Biographies for Birdwatchers, revised & expanded ed., 1, pp. 8-14; and also the free on-line site The Key to Scientific Names, part of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology Birds of the World (referred to by Mike #4) – of which, casting modesty to the winds, I am the editor; this resource supercedes my Dictionaries of 1991 and 2020). In days of yore, it was not the custom of the English landed gentry to use Sr. and Jr. to distinguish different generations with the same names.

All serenity. James.
Dear James,

Many thanks for your kind and interesting reply. It is a great pleasure to hear from you. Your Key is now bookmarked for sustained future use, and it is excellent and fantastic news that it is free again. The meanings of bird names are so interesting.
I need to get the new Mearns book! That was also news to me. Thank you very much for drawing my attention to it.
Perhaps the most interesting part of your message, to me, is the statement about the landed gentry.

My best wishes,
Frederik
Hi "FredBras", and, as you're a "New member", welcome to BirdForum. (y)

As you will notice many (or most) ssp. wasn't included in Jobling 2010, but they sure are in today's Key (see below):

= here (alt. here, or here).

The Key is continuously, frequently, constantly updated, both amended and improved (just about every day – thanks to James's assiduity and perseverance).

Enjoy!

Björn

PS. In my notes (and MS) I have the junior guy as nothing but: "Boyd Alexander (1873–1910)"
Hi Björn (or hejsan!)

Many thanks for your friendly welcome to the group. I shall surely enjoy it. In fact, I already did for quite a long time, because these threads and posting turn up again and again in internet searches, e.g. for obscure names and publications. I think that you guys are a tremendous resource of knowledge, and for finding things online. Especially Russian stuff is very difficult!
Until I see the new Mearns book, I'd better not say any more about Boyd A. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back