• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any other good birding sites in the Minsmere area? (1 Viewer)

senatore

I hope to go to and stay in the Southwold area soon for a few days and will go to Minsmere and to Dunwich Heath.I was wondering if there were any other sites in that area you consider worth a look.

Max.

theere are lots max. In fact i'd go as far as say the whole of that coastal strip can be thought of as one big reserve really.

a couple of the top of my hea ad would be Benacre broad, Walberswick , Sizewell belts & around the power station & and North Warren. No doubt there are a few i've missed too

have a look at this - http://www.suffolkwildlife.co.uk/nr/sites/index.htm

oh , and forgot to say - good luck

Last edited:
Karl J said:
theere are lots max. In fact i'd go as far as say the whole of that coastal strip can be thought of as one big reserve really.

a couple of the top of my hea ad would be Benacre broad, Walberswick , Sizewell belts & around the power station & and North Warren. No doubt there are a few i've missed too

have a look at this - http://www.suffolkwildlife.co.uk/nr/sites/index.htm

oh , and forgot to say - good luck
Thanks Karl for the info.The web-site looks very useful.

Max.

suffolk coast

I would recommend Benacre broad- catch this on a nice day and its quite idyllic. Had a pair of red necked grebe last year. May need a scope to get full benefit. Sizewell Belts is a favourite place of mine, and if your feeling fit it links to the Minsmere reserve. I have had Goshawk here, Barn Owl and Hobby. Check out the area around the power station itself for Black Redstart, (breeder) Firecrest, and the warm water in front of the station attracts terns and gulls.
Further up the coast north warren is a nice little reserve, although the geese will have gone by now, but both the beach and marsh is worth a walk. You never know what will turn up, wherever you go you will have a great day.

hi, i will be at minsmere next week- do black redstart breed around the power station aswell as firecrest?
many thanks
mat

Hi Max
A little down the coast is
Trimley Marsh ( had Dartford Warbler there in winter) which is stunning too, in fact so is the whole stour estuary.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back