• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

African Pitta in Zambia (1 Viewer)

Mike Hunter

I'm not sure if I'm flogging a dead horse with this posting but I'm hoping someone may be able to help me out.

I'm really keen to see African Pitta in Zambia. However, I can find no evidence on the web that birders traveling independently are able to see it - they all seem to use birding tour companies. I am a keen independent birder and therefore am happy to see key target species through good preparation and research, even in the knowledge of missing some 'rubbish'. In this case I'm finding it hard to pin down some specific sites for the pitta.

I'm in Namibia and Botswana for a month in October and was hoping to get to Zambia perhaps over Christmas in a separate trip.

Hope someone can help - please send a private message if you'd prefer. Thanks.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I've never been to Zambia myself, nor seen the African Pitta, but this site may help. It is basically a site showing some good birding spots is Southern Africa and Zambia, which looks pretty good to me. I don't know if African Pitta is mentioned in the Zambian spots but maybe it is worth a look.

Linky: http://www.sabirding.co.za/birdspot/prov16.htm

Good luck

I'm not sure if I'm flogging a dead horse with this posting but I'm hoping someone may be able to help me out.

I'm really keen to see African Pitta in Zambia. However, I can find no evidence on the web that birders traveling independently are able to see it - they all seem to use birding tour companies. I am a keen independent birder and therefore am happy to see key target species through good preparation and research, even in the knowledge of missing some 'rubbish'. In this case I'm finding it hard to pin down some specific sites for the pitta.

I'm in Namibia and Botswana for a month in October and was hoping to get to Zambia perhaps over Christmas in a separate trip.

Hope someone can help - please send a private message if you'd prefer. Thanks.

Mike

Hi Mike

Not sure about rubbish, its all good?

I think most the tour companies go to Mutulanganga Forest Reserve:

http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/sites/index.html?action=SitHTMDetails.asp&sid=24238&m=0#

It is I think c25km north of Siavonga (on the main Lusaka-Siavonga road), straddling a tributory of the river Mutulanganga from the main railway at its south west corner spreading out north east. Check the dry river beds in dense decidous thickets at dawn.

Ive not tried for the Pitta so cannot give specific locations.

There is another Forest reserve nearer Siavonga - Luwechele Forest Reserve, I dont know whether the Pitta is present here?

Something to get you started.

also an overview of Zambian sites here:

http://edition2a.intellimag.com/?id=trvlzm4&page=48

Cheers

Gareth

Hi Mike

There's also this section on the Pitta in South Luangwa National Park and although its through a company on organised tour, I know you can make independent bookings at Mfuwe Lodge or Flatdogs (which have lovely rooms at very reasonable prices) and from there go on drives and walks.

Marcell

Thanks guys - all useful stuff and brings an independent trip that little bit closer. I can't see that anyone has seen the pitta at Luwechele Forest Reserve, Gareth, but I'll bear this in mind - and thanks for the directions to what does appear to be the main site.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back