• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

aesculapian snake Regent's canal (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

I haven't heard much about these recently. Anyone seen them in the last year or two? I'll be in London for a dose of culture before long; I might be able to sneak a quick look into the weekend's schedule.

Ooh. Am at a loose end in london next Sunday morning. This sounds like something better than looking for a red crested pochard to year tick.

Ooh. Am at a loose end in london next Sunday morning. This sounds like something better than looking for a red crested pochard to year tick.
You need the weather to be really sunny but its worth a go. Basically its the Regents Canal in the region of London Zoo. Aesculapian Snakes are quite arboreal hunters so don't neglect the trees and bushes as well as the ground. Camden Town is the nearest Underground I think.

Be warned they aren't easy and it took me several goes to get one - Steve has also been a few times and is still trying!

The canal is good for Mandarin as well.

Cheers

John

You need the weather to be really sunny but its worth a go. Basically its the Regents Canal in the region of London Zoo. Aesculapian Snakes are quite arboreal hunters so don't neglect the trees and bushes as well as the ground. Camden Town is the nearest Underground I think.

Be warned they aren't easy and it took me several goes to get one - Steve has also been a few times and is still trying!

Cheers

John
Steve has never been although he has often thought about it! I'm usually in London during the winter months for my 'culture fix'.

Cheers

John
Didn't realise the UK was hot enough to grow oranges ;)

Cheers

John
Thank you. I’m staying in Lancaster Gate so that’s pretty close. Not really expecting too much but it’ll be fun looking

Same for me but when I was there there was masses of people around due to the very hot weather and it was a bit of a token effort.
Contrary to most peoples impression, most snakes will retreat from hot weather so you'd need to be there before it got too hot.

At last some success. Three Aesculapian Snakes along Regent's Canal today, near to the old Snowdon Avery (which is now being redeveloped). I say at last, because I've looked many times without success, usually when on work trips to London and often at times that weren't ideal. This morning was obviously a good time - warm but not hot, with about 50% cloud cover. Phil.

Attachments

• IMG_3259.JPG
    IMG_3259.JPG
    8.9 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3272.JPG
    IMG_3272.JPG
    9.9 MB · Views: 71
After I'd been there a while a guy arrived who'd been studying the snakes for years. He promptly found a fourth individual. Apparently there is some concern that at least some of them had been displaced by the works around the aviary, and changes to the drainage - so possible more visible at the moment? Also, this is the breeding season.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back