• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Moorland Vision- And How You Can Help (1 Viewer)

coaltit

United Kingdom
Can you imagine a new 6200 hectare nature reserve being created in the Derbyshire moorlands on which the land is restored and wildlife is allowed to flourish? Because this is exactly what might happen if, but only if the DOS, (Derbyshire Ornithological Society) along with 11 other local groups, can persuade the National Trust to do something different and much better for wildlife on its two moorland estates currently let to a grouse shooting tenant.
Following a incident with a decoy Hen Harrier model, this tenant is being thrown off the estate by the Trust and will be gone by the end of 2017.
In spring the Trust will advertise for a new shooting tenant and this is where the potential for a hugh new nature reserve exists.
If we can persuade the Trust that they don`t have to appoint another grouse shooting tenant to run this vast estate but instead could rehabilitate it by themselves or in partnership with other conservation organisations, then something quite unique and brilliant might just happen.
However, change doesn`t happen without people standing up and saying they want it and this is where we all come in.
The blog at www.nomoorshooting.blogspot.com (or just search for`nomoorshooting`) gives you the background to the petition and a link to it. The petition is only two months old and already has almost 2000 signatures online and a further 400+ on paper. The first target is to achieve 5000 signatures. If you`ve not signed up yet, please do so today. It`s quick and easy. The more signatures the more likely it will be that the National Trust sits up and takes notice of what we are asking of them.

I recieved this Information this morning in my monthly bulletin from the DOS ( Derbyshire Ornithological Society ) Please would anyone consider giveing your support to this very worthy cause if you have not done so already... ps If you are haveing difficulties downloading the PDF
Document to sign your name on there you will find a link to 38 Degrees people,power,change,
Under the title No moor management for grouse-shooting on two National Trust estates in Derbyshire .. from there you should have no problem signing your name and other details to download.

Yours Sincerly
Coal Tit.

Last edited:
Petition

Can you imagine a new 6200 hectare nature reserve being created in the Derbyshire moorlands on which the land is restored and wildlife is allowed to flourish? Because this is exactly what might happen if, but only if the DOS, (Derbyshire Ornithological Society) along with 11 other local groups, can persuade the National Trust to do something different and much better for wildlife on its two moorland estates currently let to a grouse shooting tenant.
Following a incident with a decoy Hen Harrier model, this tenant is being thrown off the estate by the Trust and will be gone by the end of 2017.
In spring the Trust will advertise for a new shooting tenant and this is where the potential for a hugh new nature reserve exists.
If we can persuade the Trust that they don`t have to appoint another grouse shooting tenant to run this vast estate but instead could rehabilitate it by themselves or in partnership with other conservation organisations, then something quite unique and brilliant might just happen.
However, change doesn`t happen without people standing up and saying they want it and this is where we all come in.
The blog at www.nomoorshooting.blogspot.com (or just search for`nomoorshooting`) gives you the background to the petition and a link to it. The petition is only two months old and already has almost 2000 signatures online and a further 400+ on paper. The first target is to achieve 5000 signatures. If you`ve not signed up yet, please do so today. It`s quick and easy. The more signatures the more likely it will be that the National Trust sits up and takes notice of what we are asking of them.

I recieved this Information this morning in my monthly bulletin from the DOS ( Derbyshire Ornithological Society ) Please would anyone consider giveing your support to this very worthy cause if you have not done so already... ps If you are haveing difficulties downloading the PDF
Document to sign your name on there you will find a link to 38 Degrees people,power,change,
Under the title No moor management for grouse-shooting on two National Trust estates in Derbyshire .. from there you should have no problem signing your name and other details to download.

Yours Sincerly
Coal Tit.

Thanks Coal Tit, petition signed :t:

I'm in the Monbiot school-of-through that thinks our National Parks aren't. So it sounds like an excellent idea to me so I've signed the online petition. The National Trust seem to be making the right noises on wildlife and habitat lately so hopefully this idea will prevail.

Thankyou all for your support here it is so much needed for this just cause as every single person that helps here will be provideing hope for the future of Derbyshire`s moorlands, birds, wildlife, and fauna for future generations to see and enjoy.

Last edited:
Like all big conservation Issues this project will draw a lot of attention from conservationists and people that value their landscape and everything that lives and breathes there and to give their support, as it is only such people that can draw enough attention to such habitats that are Indeed in need of dire help hopefully this project gets all that and more

Coal tit.

I fear I know how this will end . . . 10,000 people will sign the petition for no shooting, 1 person will come along with a £10m handshake, and shooting harriers & grouse will continue :storm:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back